1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DIY ATS build for 120g

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by JDCpuwiz, Jan 14, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

2. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I am IT guy (thus the name JD-CPU-wiz) so I use VISIO for flow diagrams a lot. haha

I will watch these vids tonight and give it another try. There are no issues with the parts I am using? Everything is compatible there?

I was gluing the LEDs to the heatsink before soldering so maybe I fried the UVs that way. Are the UVs a bit more sensitive than the reds by any chance? It seems odd that I toasted only the blues each time. I am new to soldering as well so I wouldn't doubt it if my technique is wrong. Plus I soldered the same LEDs multiple times trying to figure out how to make them work.

Very frustrating, doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I have found that electrically speaking, the reds are more sensitive, meaning, if you zap them with intermittent current like a bad connection that jumps a gap, they blow easily and all in series. On my first MCPCB I had SMD jumpers that were not always good connections from the reflow machine (Steve's LEDs mounted components for me) and if one of these was loose and you bumped it, it would go on/off/on/off very quickly and zappo all the reds are gone. The blues would eventually, but they seemed much more resilient overall. By the time I switched to violets I had the problem solved with the loose connections so I guess I really don't know the answer for sure, but my gut tells me that they are at least as sensitive.

The blues I was using were 1000mA rated Philips, driven at 700mA you might expect better resiliency to intermittent currents. So logically the violets, rated for 700mA just like the reds, would blow easily.

Overheating from repeated soldering will do in an LED rather quickly actually...especially if the iron is too low or too high.

If too low and star PCB is mounted, you have to hold the iron on for a really long time or result in cold joint = solder could pull off pad in future
    If too hot and star PCB mounted, this can work but if you hold for too long
    If too hot and unmounted, you can fry it if you hold too long so you just have to get used to the timing
    If too low and unmounted, you this can work OK but can result in a cold joint = solder could pull off pad in future
    If removing connections, you want to de-solder if you can, but at minimum add more tinning before adding the new connection

The key is to have the iron hot enough to flow solder on to the pad for tinning in like 1 second or less. Then let it cool a bit before going to the next pad or soldering the connection. If it's on a heat sink, hotter iron is OK but still have to move fast.

4. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

New UV LEDs on order, I will give it a try again when they arrive, hopefully a couple days.

For now I have the ATS running 9hrs per day (3 on 3 off schedule) with just the reds. So I should start to get some growth, but it has only been 2 days.

5. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

I got new UVs from LED Groupbuy today. I very carefully pre tinned them, attached to heat sink, and wired them in. Plugged them into the PS on the scrubber and THEY WORKED! I was so excited. Lol. Now more waiting...

Turbo likes this.
  6. vereecjw

vereecjw New Member

Glorious.

Throw up some pics if you get the chance and as it progresses

7. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

image.jpeg

Took about a week and a half before I started seeing some growth on the screen. I took the screen out today for the first cleaning. It's now been about 2 1/2 weeks. The algae is a dark brown at this point.

8. Turbo

That's typical progression, you probably want to wash away the dark growth but not too vigorously. Use slow running tap water, room temp and swip each side once with the palm of your hand, then if you still have a lot on there rub with your fingertips (gently). Leave all the strands on there (the ones that remain) and let it run for another 10 days.

Dark growth usually means high nutrients, not enough light, etc, but I'd say it's too early to judge. Don't change lighting at this point. What do you have it set at?

9. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

It's running with power split between one driver. Running 6 hrs on 6 hrs off then 6 on again. 12 hrs per day.

10. Turbo

I would keep that going for another cycle and see what it looks like in a week or so

JDCpuwiz likes this.