1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New L2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kidderic, Jul 9, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Thought I would share.. This is in my RSM650[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo likes this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Love the use of cutting boards!

3. Kidderic,
    Nice setup!

4. Thx

5. Hey bud.. My unit has been going for 6 days.. Running lights 15 hours at the 5 o'clock position.. Thoughts??
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I recommend 6 o'clock (arrow pointing straight down) for the starting point, and 9-15 hours/day is fine, some screens take longer to get going. The slight dark coloration is telling you that something is indeed happening. The first week can be all over the board (everyone is different). Put it back in, no cleaning, and leave it for about 2 weeks - let it get a lot more coloration built up.

7. Thanks Bud...one last thing...i noticed water doesn't flow down the screen on a small portion that is closest to the input of the screen if that makes sense...is that normal..you can see the clean screen on the left side of there screen...thanks

8. Turbo

This is referred to as "arcing" and will subside once you get some growth established. But for the initial ramp-up, you don't need a ton of flow, you just want it to be enough to allow for a thin sheet of water to cascade down the screen. This might mean dialing back the pump quite a ways, lower than you might think you need. Mess with the flow until you get as much coverage as possible with as little "arcing" as possible.

Once you start to get a base of growth, you can increase the flow - but I would wait until you have a pretty decent level of growth. After you are able to increase flow, you will get some arcing still but usually only right after cleaning. As growth picks up the first few days after cleaning, the flow will be forced to even out by the growth.

I'm actually working on a new concept for the slot pipe that could potentially eliminate the arcing issue all together. I'm probably going to post something about it this week, I'm having prototype parts 3D printed so I can try it out.

9. Thx

Turbo likes this.
  10. Another quick question I have been using nopox.. Should I continue??

11. Turbo

I would continue to use whatever filtration you have in place, the scrubber should be able to get started no matter what, but there are instances where other aggressive filtration like NoPoX and GFO can hamper the startup phase. But, removing those injects another change to the system, and any change to the system (including adding an Algae Scrubber) does typically change the "set point" of the overall system. So I would give it some time, but that is good to know as it does affect my advice sometimes. In this case, knocking back the flow and the intensity is the right move as the NoPoX might be keeping the N and P at a relatively low level, so over-lighting the screen might result in poor growth and thus a very slow start-up. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Remind me, is NoPoX like Biopellets in that it dissolves over time and you have to replenish it, or is it like GFO where it "fills up" and you have to replace it?

12. it is like vodka... liquid dosing...

13. Turbo

Oh, ok...from what I have seen related to vodka dosing as compared to other forms of carbon dosing that are more constant like biopellets, vodka and vinegar dosing seem to adversely affect a scrubber and I'm not sure why. In contrast, I've seen scrubbers explode with growth when run on a tank with biopellets.

I suspect that there could be a similarity with NOPOX as well, maybe something to do with a sudden influx of product due to manual addition or something...

What I typically recommend for BP is that you let it erode and then refill it but only to 1/2 to 3/4 of what you normally would, keep it there for a couple refill cycles, then reduce by another 25% or so, etc.

For NOPOX I suspect you could do the same and be safe - reduce your dosage by 25% for a few weeks, see how the scrubber reacts, then keep going down that path. But make small changes, so for the first month, try to encourage the scrubber to grow without making any change and see what happens. If it seems that the pattern is no growth or no significant start-up, then reduce NOPOX dosing by 25%

14. Ok thx.. Dialed down the flow.. And it is set at 6... Check in with you in a week or so and see where we are at. Thx bud

15. Hi bud. Just got back from s short vacation.. This is 12 days.. Looks a little slimey.. Thoughts??[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks

16. Turbo

I would leave it alone and let it grow - I think it's just a really slow starter, could be due to that NOPOX.

At best, I would swipe off the screen by 'dragging' the toothbrush (bristles turned away from the direction of travel) and only clean a few 'stripes' on each side, so that at least one side of the screen is untouched, if that makes sense.

Some of that might just rinse away with faucet pressure. That's OK too, but try to leave as much on the screen as you can. If you're only getting that initial diatom-type growth (which it looks like you are) then leave it. Once you start to see green sprigs, that's when you want to start clearing off that darker slime growth. But for now, that slime growth is actually performing some filtration, albeit not much.

17. Actually I was gone for 4 days and decided now is as good as time as any to stop dosing.. Well I guess I will just leave it for a while and see where it goes.. Thanks again..

18. And actually had the lights out for 4 days on the DT as well.. Thought that may help that screen get more developed.. Anyhow thanks bud!!

19. [​IMG][​IMG]

Hi bud day 18.. Have not touched the screen.. Thoughts..

20. Turbo

Good pics. Looks like a bit of an increase in growth, on the previous pics I can see all the "holes", in these today about 25% or so of the holes are covered, but probably not filled in quite yet.

I would say do a light cleaning - at most, take the toothbrush and make a pass like I mentioned before
    then a quick rinse. That should leave nearly all of the GHA on the screen but clear up some of the brown stuff.

I can see lots of small GHA spots and some clumps starting to grow - leave all that on there and fire it up again.