1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New L2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kidderic, Jul 9, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Ok it is on for 17 hours.. At the six o clock position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ok it is on for 17 hours.. At the six o clock position

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

After you do your harvest, post a pic. Probably can go to 20 hours right away. Then depending on how it looks after you harvest, might increase intensity not or might check in a few days and increase then.

But it's really starting to fill in now!

4. Thanks bud.. I already popped it back in.. I took some off.. But it seemed if I really wanted to thin it out was with my fingers.. And when I grabbed it it came off in clumps.. So I did some but not a lot.. In creased the run time to 20 hours.. Is there a trick with the brush.. I understand what u where asking me to do.. But it did not seem to work well with the brush.. Thx

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

No problem. With the brush, what I was referring to was taking the orange grout/tile brush and scrubbing the top edge of the screen. This is the part that is not roughed up, that is inserted into the slot. You want to scrub this briefly with the tile brush to keep it clean. It's not critical at this point, and that area doesn't start gunking up for a while, and then you just want to scrub it with each cleaning/harvest...that's all.

If you left a bunch of clumps on there and just thinned it out, I would bump intensity up to 5 or 4 o'clock. It should be able to take that

6. Thx

7. Hi bud this is like 57-57 days[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Here is after I cleaned it.. First time I really try to clean it off.. Just wasn't sure how much to leave on[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Turbo

Hours to 20 if you already haven't, or even 22

Intensity to 3 o'clock - it should be able to take that

Can probably increase flow a little bit also if you want

Let it grow for 10 days minimum

What are you N & P readings?

Tank algae?

10. Ok.. Nitrate today was at 2.5 per selifert.. Haven't done phosphate for a bit.. Usually like 2-6 on a Hanna ULR meter.. No alage per say in tank.. But do get some along back wall and pumps after time.. Thx ..

11. [​IMG][​IMG]

Well it has been about 11 days.. I cleaned the screen again and cranked it up again..

12. Turbo

I can't see anything in those pics. Not that you can do anything about it now!! :p

But in the future, force the flash to "on" and try to avoid having a bright window in the background ;)

13. Hey bud I'm still getting alage in my DT not a lot but some .. nitrates are. At 0.5 phosphate is showing 0.0 but know it is there.. I have a valve on my unit and it open about 3/4.. should I fully open it? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  14. Turbo

Depends on the growth you are getting and your light settings. It's kind of a battle that takes place over time, as the screen grows and tank conditions change/shift, the growth can also. The DT algae could take time to go away and that can be a bit of a slow battle, but you can't necessarily force it to go faster. Doing so might cause growth to revert as you push things right to the edge. Post up pics of your screen, in the scrubber with water running. Turn lights off, slide one of the lights off to the side and take a flashlight to illuminate the screen, and take a non-flash picture so show me what your growth looks like (and your flow/fill level), then let me know where you are at for hours/day and intensity

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if you can see this.. at the 3 o'clock position

16. Running 22 hours on

17. Turbo

Looks mostly green with some yellow, am I seeing that right?

How many days has it been since the last harvesting?

The growth doesn't appear too thick, so at most I would just rinse it and run with your fingertips to loosen any poorly attached growth, and loosen any yellow growth, don't scrape or pick at it at all, then put it back in for at least 7 more days. Let it grow thicker if it will...sometimes the growth will kind of stall out, meaning, it won't get super thick but it also won't shrink.

You could also just leave it alone (don't clean at all) and just keep letting it grow.

18. I just cleaned it like 5 days ago.. no yellow think it is my pic.. how about water level

19. Turbo

What pump are you using? I couldn't quite tell from the first few pics on this thread

more flow is not necessarily better, I'm learning that it kind of falls under the case-by-case basis...I used to think more flow is always better, but I've been proven wrong. So I'm hesitant to say "increase your flow" because I've seen excellent growth under lower flow than 35 GPH/in...

20. I have the rio u sold me