1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New L2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kidderic, Jul 9, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That was on a separate invoice & I didn't find it when I looked quickly. Which one, 1100 or 1400?

What is your total vertical head from sump water level to pipe?

2. I think the 1100 and it is 17 inches from outlet of pump to inlet of l-2 plumbed with 3/4 inch pvc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The vertical head only applies above the waterline - so measure from the top of the water that the pump is in to the slot pipe - trying to ballpark your max flow before telling you to open up the valve

4. Turbo

I'll take a shot and guess that it's in ~5" of water or so, which would put the vertical at 12", add 24" for the slot pipe = 36", if you open it all the way up you're going to get probably going to get 240GPH TAAM, Aquarium Products (go to "specification" tab) but it might be a bit more, so if you have the valve handle just a little off of fully open (maybe 15-20 degrees off of in-line) your flow is likely in the 220 range, which is fine. Opening it all the way is not likely to hurt anything, and you have a good base of flow, so you might try that and monitor the results.

5. Thx bud. I just checked and it is 13" from top of water to inlet of the l-2.. I will just let it be for now and see where I'm at in a few weeks.. thx

6. Hi bud question on the output which way should that screw be positioned.. i.e. Open clockwise or open counter clockwise? Thx

7. Turbo

Are you referring to the drain valve? As you back out the thumbscrew (counterclockwise) that opens the flap. Turning clockwise closes the flap.

What you want to do is start with it open (which is usually, effectively, 1/2 way screwed in) then start up the unit, get the screen flow where you want it to be, then adjust the flap closed until the unit runs silent.

After it runs silent (i.e. no air sucking down the drain) then you want to continue to close the screw/flap until you get the "static" water level inside the scrubber (on the ends, where the water fall off of the false bottom) such that it roughly matches the water level across the false bottom.

What you don't want is the water to cascade off the false bottom into a "lower pool" with would cause some air bubbles to form, because these will then go down the drain and turn into microbubbles.

Make sense?

8. Yep thx

9. Hi bud.. been a while.. my screen has been growing well.. but over the past week or two it has gotten a tan type slime on it with very little green.. I have been dosing my dt with prazzi pro during this time.. I'm guessing that is what I'm seeing.. any experience with this? Thanks

10. Turbo

Not personally, but the light slime (if it's kind of spongey & yellow) is typically an indication of too much light in relation to the amount of nutrients.

so if you are having tank issues and the dynamic has changed, you might need to adjust the scrubber settings

11. I have been having hair alage issues in the dt and been hitting it hard with gfo.. if it is too much light is it duration or intensity.. it is set rt now at 3 o clock and runs 22 hours a day. Like I said I was getting a nice mat every week or so..

12. Turbo

Usually intensity. You might try dialing back to 4 o'clock and going 24/7. Intensity is the instantaneous factor, if that is too high then the algae "locks up" when nutrients drop off. When you drop it down, the algae can absorb without excess light, and that can go on all day long.

So you might even back it off to 5 o'clock + 24/7 lighting.

13. Ok thx.. give it a shot

Turbo likes this.
  14. Hi bud,

I turned it down to about 7 and runs 24 hours.. still getting the yellow.. likely because of all the gfo I have been running.. ideas on how to get it green again? Thanks

[​IMG]

15. Turbo

What are your N & P at? Still dosing PP?

16. Just checked.. with salifert and rs nitrate at 0 phosphate 0.02.. I'm not running prazzi anymore.. but did huge water changes after the pp.. and still running the gfo.. so should I run it like it was a new screen?? Until my nutrients start to go up? Thx

17. Turbo

Yup, I would back off on the photoperiod, maybe down to 12 hrs/day, but leave the intensity were it's at (or even go to 6). Also. break up the photoperiod, as much as you want really - you could go 30m on / 30m off, repeating until you add up to X hrs/day of "on" time, etc.

Try to slowly back off the GFO. Heavy GFO use tends to cause the scrubber to grow yellow.

Any tank algae?

18. Ok I will give it a shot.. yes have hair alage on rocks that I'm trying to kick.. I will back off the gfo as well. Thanks again