1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New L4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cbsaint01, Oct 2, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

More pictures. As you can see, some pictures shows as I took the screen pipe most of the gha stay in the clear container. It came off the screen very easy.

Attached Files:

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's almost exactly the type and volume of growth I get when I go 14 days on mine, that growth is fantastic!

One thing to note though, on that pic in your 2nd post above where you have the screen/pipe in the box, you have it in backwards. I'm pretty sure you just had it like that for that one pic, just making sure :)

3. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

yes, I noticed it during installation

4. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

The L4 is continuing scrubbing as expected.

Attached Files:

Turbo likes this.
  5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Very nice!

6. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Hi!!! I have nothing but great things to say about my L4 performance. Now I harvest every Friday. The key to success is to try maintaining the same amount of food everyday that matches the way you have the device setup. So far, no hiccups but success.

Attached Files:

7. Turbo

Textbook growth, seems like your tank is at a balance point!

Fill everyone in on your tank info - size, livestock, how much you feed & what you feed, other filtration, etc

Also let us know what your scrubber settings & maintenance cycle is - approximate flow rate (or just the pump you use & your vertical head), photoperiod, intensity, harvest frequency, etc

8. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Ok, I have two black fin sharks about six inches each, one 2-3 in. yellow tang, one maroon fish about 3 1/2 in., one blue hippo tang 6-7 in., one Fox face about 6-7 in., 1 Mexican snail, 7 nassarius snails which seem to reproduce because I see a bunch of little snails on my glass in the morning. I dose kalkwasser 1 drop every 5-7 min.
    Filtration: 2 filter socks one mesh one felt.
    Skimmer: C remora with a 1200 maxi jet runs only at night when I remember to turn it on.
    Micro Bubbling method only at night which seems to work, even my wife notice the fishes look like they are swimming on air.
    Bio-filtration: what you see in the tank about 70-80 lbs of rocks and 3 lbs of pondguru mix with pieces of livestock in the sump.
    Food: I feed mostly pellets food. I was told by an aquarium expert it is better because it has everything your fishes need. I get that from Walmart the jumbo pellet the closest to live food it contains variety of seafood, also feed the pack combo twice a week only one cube with the pellets.
    Also every morning I feed GHA and all the fishes eat that believe or not. I save a bag of that stuff in my freezer.
    Scrubber: L4 with rio 2100
    Light intensity at full for 18 hrs
    Pump full throttle at ~20 in height. I haven’t done any adjustment since December.

9. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Video of my tank

10. lovefish77

lovefish77 Member Trusted Member

Hope i will get that type of growth one day :)

11. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Before I went on vacation that morning I decided to clean the screen. With my wife rushing me I forgot to plug the pump. Came back today to find this.Now starting all over again.

Attached Files:

12. Turbo

ugggg...

Well it doesn't look completely bone-dry, so it might recover. Use a toothbrush and scrub very lightly, you want any semi-dead growth to get washed away, but you want to try to salvage what you can.

Are there any areas that are "baked on" with a white crust?

13. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

The whole screen was white. It’s after I started cleaning it I decided to post it.

14. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

It was bone dry. I cleaned it before I took the pics.

15. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

The screen was all white and distorted.

16. Turbo

Sorry..bust weekend

In the pics, it looks like the algae wasn't totally dried out, but if you have white crust all over the screen, that's a bad sign. I've baked screens and so have others, the consensus seems to be that even though that white crust seems like it should be a great substrate for growing algae, it is indeed not.

The best thing to do with a white-baked screen is soak it in vinegar (straight vinegar, no dillution) for about 20 minutes, then scrub it with a stiff brush, then soak it again for about an hour and scrub it again. Repeat if needed, but that should get you back to a bare screen.

Then, I would recommend doing a mortar coating, which is very easy and cheap. But, that's not totally necessary. If you have a tank that is already conditioned to having a scrubber on it, the screen (without mortar) will *usually* fill in faster than if your tank never had a scrubber on it.

But you will want to start out at a reduced intensity (6 o'clock) and reduce photoperiod (9 hours) until you start to get a positive indication of growth filling in.

Do very gentle harvests (palm swipe & rinse) for the first month, once you get some growth you can jump intensity to 5 or 4 o'clock over a couple weeks, but extend hours more that increasing intensity (so work up to 18-20 hours before going past 4 o'clock)

Here's the video for making the mortar screen you can skip to part 3

17. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

One week after the disaster

Attached Files:

18. Turbo

Is that at a reduced intensity and/or photoperiod? The center might not ever fill back in, but it looks decent so far. At least there is some growth!!

19. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Uh!!! Nope, I was so distracted and my normal routine for the past 2 yrs, is almost like a plug and play once that scrubber started working like it should, I never had to adjust anything. Not until I was about to upload these two pictures, I saw your reply. I totally forgot about resetting from the beginning. Hopefully, this week it should be better.

20. Turbo

Before you do that - what were you set at?