1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New L4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cbsaint01, Oct 2, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Set at full blast 18hrs

2. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

It looks like it is filling up one day later

Attached Files:

3. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

I’m not going to touch any setting and wait to see the result

Turbo likes this.
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yup, see what happens. When you do your first harvest, make it a very moderate one. Pull by hand and see how much comes off. Try to leave a decent amount on the screen along the top edge as that will migrate downward. you can be a bit more aggressive along the sides and bottom edge though.

5. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Ok thanks I will try that

6. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Wow the L4 is back in action with a vengeance.

Attached Files:

7. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

On Monday I wrote everything is set at full pump, and light intensity. But Light hours is set for 20 hours.

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Very nice, good recovery! Always good to try. I would still try to leave a good layer behind when harvesting.

However if it does come off easily - don't worry. One of the things I've learned is that when algae doesn't have to stay attached, it won't anchor strongly.

In the case of my scrubbers, or really any unit that allows 3D growth, the weight is taken off the growth mat. Add in the false bottom, and the algae mat becomes a mass that is rather self-supporting, and it stays in place (the false bottom keeps it from getting pulled down the drain) so it doesn't "need" to attach strongly to the screen.

I've seen this effect in multiple versions of my scrubbers, I'll pull the screen out and the the lower half comes out pretty much clean (but not white...looks like it's been scraped), the algae stays in the box.

9. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Yes you are right I have noticed that too. The algae sometime accumulate from the bottom and fills up gradually.

10. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Wow is all I can say

Attached Files:

11. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Extra pics

Attached Files:

12. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

After cleaning it(pulled by hand) this is how it looks.

Attached Files:

13. Turbo

Recovered well, thankfully!

14. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Well, usually I clean my screen every Wednesday. I left it for 11 days, I noticed the surface that is exposed to the light started yellowing. That is not a good sign right!!!.

Attached Files:

15. Turbo

That's actually not a terribly bad sign. I get that when I let it go for a bit too long, but for me that's usually more like 18 days, that's monster growth for 11 days!

16. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

This is what happen when one forget to plug in the water pump to the scrubber.

Attached Files:

17. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Nitrate is still low after a week of no scrubbing. That’s good news.

Attached Files:

18. Turbo

Oh no, not again!! :(:mad:

19. cbsaint01

cbsaint01 Member

Screen maintenance and repair, in use since September 27, 2016.

Attached Files:

20. lovefish77

lovefish77 Member Trusted Member