1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Santa Monica RAIN2 Algae Scrubber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barry Friedman, Jan 17, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. So im at the 4 week mark starting to see some growth, but no decrease in p04 or n03 or the GHA in the display. im running 2 gem5 light strips which is 5 x 3w red leds on each side, for 18/6.

PO4: 0.12
    NO3: 35

Does this look ok or is there anything else i can do???

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Display Tank Pics of the GHA.

Attached Files:

3. What can i be expecting for this GHA?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The screen will take time to fill in so that the scrubber can start out-competing the GHA in the tank.

The bare spot is likely right in front of the LED strip. You are getting growth around the edges of the screen, which means the tank/water conditions in general are good for growing algae, but the intensity of the light is too high right in front of the light strip. Here, you are seeing photosaturation, at least on the surface. With the 3D printed screen (which I believe has 2 layers and a bit of a void space in the middle) there will be some growth there, but it will take a while to fill in on the surface.

Since you can't dim the lights, I would try breaking up the photoperiod a bit. Instead of 18 on (all in one continuous photoperiod), make that 3 on 1 off, repeat.

5. Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the screen again and its filling in the bald spot nicely, i haveto say now in week 4 that it started growing the green stuff every day makes a huge difference it even looks different from the morning. I think im going to leave it at this schedule for now and see how it does. But in any case the off time is important correct?

Aso i was wondering what you think about dipping or bleaching the rocks to get the algae off and all the phosphates out, because i was told that my pukani rock might be leaching po4.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Off time does not matter much for algae IMO. At first, it's only because the incoming light can't be adsorbed by enough algae, because there is not enough algae there. Once you get growth kicking in, many times you can increase the photoperiod as much as you want but I would ramp up to that over time.

That works to an extent, but you're also going to eliminate the bacteria and essentially start over. With reef tanks, there is a longer cycle of maturation so often techniques like this just push off the maturity of the tank.

Depending on how old the tank is, this might just be a phase that will pass with time (and the scrubber will help). To start off, you will want to pull the algae off the rocks. You can do this in the tank using a soft toothbrush, but take it one step at a time. Use fingers if you can, then a toothbrush but you're not wanting to scrub - it's just that a toothbrush can snag algae and hang on to it better, so you're really just dragging it over the algae to pull it off without disturbing the surface of the rock where the bacteria is colonized (referred to as the periphyton)

If you scrub, you remove the periphyton and this delays your tank maturation as this has to rebuild. Many times the bacteria that are colonizing are also liberating the bound phosphates and then the algae grows from that (that's a simplified explanation but essentially that's the mechanism, at least in theory)

So in essence, you actually want the algae to grow in the tank somewhat. Sounds a bit backwards, but in the long term, you'll get a mature and stable tank faster if you manage it rather than putting a flamethrower on it.

Also, see #15 here: Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

7. not to long ago dipped it once in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, scrubbed off all the algae it however came back. pukani rock is known to leach po4. Have you seen tanks get rid of algae using a ATS. Alao if i do decide to bleach the rock and start fresh will it hinder the ATS growth?

8. Turbo

Absolutely. Some take a few weeks, some take 6 months or more. It is very much dependent on the individual system

No, it will probably help the scrubber grow, but I honestly think that is a last resort. Keep the tank algae at bay for a while first, let the scrubber become dominant. Do water changes if necessary to lower nutrients.

I think many people want the scrubber to lower the nutrients in a system where they are already elevated. Sometimes this works. But, it's better to consider the scrubber a long-term solution, that being keeping the nutrients low. So as the scrubber ramps up growth, maintain a standard husbandry regimen. Once the scrubber kicks in strong, then you can rely on it. You can't rely on a scrubber from day one (at least not in a majority of cases).

Scrubbers are a workhorse once they're "broken in" per se.

9. Makes alot of sense. So i guess ill just wait a few more weeks to see if once the scrubber is working more efficiently if it lowers the nutrients.

10. Turbo

Plus keep on top of the tank algae. Gentle toothbrushing to gather up the algae :)

11. Wow so it really started growing so much. Should i be doing my first harvest?

Attached Files:

12. Turbo

I wouldn’t yet. Just rub & rinse. One of the main mistakes is harvesting too often or too vigorously.

Rub & rinse will dislodge a bit of growth - the poorly attached algae. That’s good enough.

13. Any benefit of pushing it into the bald spot???

14. Turbo

Not in my opinion. It won’t stay in place and would just get photosaturated.

15. UPDATE: Some GHA in the DT is starting to die off detaching from the rock and floating around.

Attached Files:

Turbo likes this.
  16. Do i scrape yet??? Or still wait???

Attached Files:

17. Turbo

I wouldn't scrape until you have growth covering the entire screen. You're still in the rub/rinse stage IMO. You might scrape off about 25% and just around the edges, but that's about it.

As always though, scrub the slot and the top edge of the screen for sure.

18. I meant do i need to do anything??? So what exactly is rub/rinse how do i do that?

19. Turbo

run under room temp tap water and gently rub with your fingertips

20. So i did my first scrape sorry i forgot to take pics. Its already growing nicely on the second round. However no decrease in nutrients, would love to hear your thoughts.