1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new screen and lights dark growth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scott, Nov 11, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. scott

scott Member

Wish I could post a pic but it wont let me for some reason? When I click "upload" I get a little orange exclamation mark?? But any how, the growth I am getting is very dark almost black. It is not that "oil" stuff but close. It almost looks fuzzy. very very dark brown fuzz. I was running the leds 9 hours per day but just change the timer to 16.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

your picture might be larger than the limit. Best to upload to Photobucket or something like it and then paste the IMG code link.

Are you looking at it under normal light or LED (red) light? Algae will look black under red LED light as it reflects no green component.

I would ratchet up the light but do it only a few hours at a time. So go from 9 hours/day to 11 hours/day for a week and monitor. Since you went to 16 hours/day already, I would at least check it daily to see if you are getting any spot on the screens where the growth is turning white. If so, back it down.

What I would do is pull the screen out every 3 days and rub & rinse in a shallow pan of tank water. This will allow you to remove or thin out the dark growth without causing osmotic shock to the algae (cells burst and partially die). Cleaning under tap water every 7-10 days or so is not so much of a worry as 2-3 times a week, doing so might hinder bounce-back of growth, so intermittent cleanings should be done in saltwater.

3. scott

scott Member

yea looks dark under normal light. ok I thought thats what I should do(above) just wanted to be sure. thanks! I am not very good with computers but I will try that photobucket thing:)

4. scott

scott Member

Well I just set up a shallow pan with old tank water,a tiny powerhead,and a 13 watt cfl. My hope is that this pan of water will stay fresh and allow me to clean my screen in salt water for the next several weeks

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

you don't really need that much. I'm talking about 1 cup of tank water in a pan just big enough to place the screen in and rub it so that the algae rinses away. You won't want to keep that water after you clean the screen I wouldn't think. But I suppose you could.

It doesn't even have to be tank water, it can be just mixed up saltwater to a generally matching salinity kept in a jug. It's not going back in the tank anyways.

6. scott

scott Member

yea guess I am over thinking it. Lol. My growth is still dark in most places with little streaks of yellow/green directly in front of the emmiters.

7. scott

scott Member

sorry I just can not get any pictures to work on here:( Ok well here is where I am at. My scrubbers growth Is still not good. I have a mix of very dark brown stuff on 75% of the screen and yellow on 15%,,and green on the last 10%. My flow is about 250-285 gph over a 5"x5" screen. My led's are four rebel 660's and one rebel cool white on each side run by a menwell LM 34700 (i think). My light fixtures are 2.5" away from the screen. I made a diffuser from 1/8" acrylic that I sanded with 80 grit and installed two days ago. hope it helps. I will order two royal blues or two more deep reds to replace the cool whites with tonight if you think that is the issue,but I doubt that is what it is....? I have been rubbing off any black/brown growth daily using salt water. My timer is set to run 8 hours per day , 8pm til 4am. My display algae is sparse however I feel the the water is a little greener than it should be. thanks for all the help bud!

8. Turbo

Take the diffuser off. If you have a base of growth you don't need it. Plus, 80 grit on acrylic is cutting down your light tremendously. Regular diamond diffuser like what is in a ceiling mounted light fixture transmits much more light, so that is likely the main reason for the brown growth.

Also IMO the cool white is not the right LED to have in there - and it's much more intense than 660s at 700mA, it's the wrong spectrum so it's not doing much good, and you will burn a white spot in the screen after removing the diffuser. I would bypass it or replace it with an RB (which will still burn a spot), or better yet a pair of RBs in parallel. Or you can buy one of my 2-chip boards with them pre-mounted in parallel (I haven't started advertising that I have & sell these, but I do)

9. scott

scott Member

ok will do. It should not take to much to wire two RB's in parallel right? just +to+ and -to- on the royal blues then use them like they wear just a single led in the series loop right?

10. Turbo

Correct

11. scott

scott Member

thanks.

12. scott

scott Member

Hey bud, stupid question...I ordered four of the royal blues. I was going to put 2 in parallel on each side. I was just thinking could I just keep my cool white in place and run all three in parallel? I just hate to knock off the CW and throw it in the trash AND I would hate to have any kind of burn spot in the middle. My thinking is what would be the harm of two RB and one CW run at 33% power???

13. Turbo

Haven't tried it myself but I recall someone else did and they didn't turn on at 1/3 of 700mA. Maybe wire one of the reds with one blue and the CW with the other blue.

14. scott

scott Member

Ok well maybe I'll just omit the CW. O well...

15. Turbo

Making one of the DRs half power is not going to affect much though. Still a lot of output. In fact my new version has the ability to jumper all LEDs to half power vs full power, including the reds. I did that because I wanted to get rid of the diffuser yet still allow for a low-intensity break-in period

16. scott

scott Member

Well I removed the CW and was able to save them! Then I mounted up the 4 RB's . I also replaced the acrylic. So now I have 4 DR and 2 RB(50%pow.) On each side. Today I cleande and discovered some green under the dark brown slime. How many hours would you set my timer for now with the new set up??

17. Turbo

How many are you running them now? I think you were at 9 to 11, right? I'd leave it there for a week, see what the growth looks like, then add an hour or two and give it another week, as long as you don't start getting bare spots or white growth, you're good.

18. scott

scott Member

Ok . Yes it was at 11 for a while but you told me to cut it back so I went to 9 for the last several days. I keep it at 9 for a week and see what happens. Thanks for all the help. It already looks better under thpulple light!

19. scott

scott Member

I bought some test kits today. nitrates are 5ppm and phosphates are also 5ppm

20. Turbo

Wow, phosphates are 5.0 ppm? Really? You need to start GFO, right away. That's where the black growth is coming from, and it's not going to go down fast with a scrubber, you're going to hit nitrate limitation. Start small, a few tablespoons, which will saturate quickly. Change daily to every other day. Test before each swap-out. You want to make a gradual reduction. If you see little headway, double the GFO.

If you don't have a reactor, then you can fill up a fine mesh media bag and drop it in the sump (after RODI rinse) in an area that gets moderate flow. You can use more with this technique because it will have less contact time. Need to get that P down bad!!!

tedlietz likes this.