1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to scrubbers diy

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Theo, May 10, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo is there a meanwell driver that is dimmable and will work for this exact setup?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

3. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    If I choose the Meanwell HLG-60H-C700A version, would I wire both lights like this?

AAC39662-09E7-4881-9A2B-77BA3226C3A9.jpeg

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

5. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    If I go with the B type, can I just connect it to a potentiometer? And using the B type, will it be ok if I connect both fixtures in parallel to the drive or should I get a way to try and connect both fixtures in series with each other to the driver?

6. Turbo

The point of the B type is that it’s dimmable, so you would just connect in series

No idea on the potentiometer. Should be covered in the spec sheet in the link.

7. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo , where can I place an order for one of your scrubbers?

8. Turbo

I'm not taking orders at the moment, I shifted all my efforts over to making face shields for medical workers a few months ago, and I got backlogged after landing a big contract (which I'm still working to fulfill).

9. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo you are breaking my heart...

10. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo , after the heartache you caused last week I’ve ordered all my things to diy. If I may ask, how did you make the snap-on water and light deflectors?

upload_2020-6-15_22-10-55.png

I would love to buy one from you but shipping cost for this would probably not make sense. What plastic did you use and how did you bend it? Any other ideas that can make a similar deflector?

11. Turbo

There are extruded, but you can take ABS plastic and heat it to bend it around a pipe.

12. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    Finally got some building done. Decided to make the body like Clearwater type and the lights like yours. Seems to block light spillage. Here’s some photos of the LEDs.

D437FDC3-CEEA-4640-BC7A-0B03C5602BBE.jpeg E2290C68-D5D7-4367-9BCD-6AAA1544A818.jpeg

I used ABS plastic to make a frame which I bolted and sealed with 3M dp490 glue onto the heatsink. I made some mess with the led glue as well as pencil on the heatsink. Tried to remove it but just made a bigger mess. Ended up using a wire brush and it made some nice lines on the heatsink which I liked. This glue really does a great job at sealing even with just a small footprint.

Here’s all the acrylic parts that will make the body. I’ve build it today so I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

5CFC8E6F-0683-4542-AB7C-D298F3D3FDFE.jpeg

Turbo likes this.
  13. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    I installed it today. Here’s some pictures of it. Any input, critic or advice is welcomed.

I made the screen from mix of mortar and liverock cement. I did one with mortar only but it came off as soon as you touched it. With the liverock cement it’s much more sticky. E792EB0A-ABD9-4D6F-AD43-2D59B191332F.jpeg

6188C084-4E4A-4624-A4F0-A4B995AD6478.jpeg 3F2E80A8-DE09-4413-A09C-9E2745429D61.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    I’ll post pics as we go. If I may ask @Turbo how will I know if I’ve got enough flow over the screen and should I start the lights at 50% for 24hrs at first?

15. Turbo

Depending on the intensity, dim it pretty far down (25% is a good starting point) and as far as flow, turn it down until there isn't enough flow to cover the entire screen. Then turn it up until you get full coverage, but not so much that you end up with excess flow out of the far end (opposite the pump/input)

Regarding the mortar coating: you have to apply that (thick, smear it on, rub it in) then tap the excess off, then sandwich that in wax paper then damp paper towels and put in a container for 2-3 days (spritzing with water daily) which allows it to cure (not dry). Then it will be fully attached. Then soak in water for 3-7 days (changing water daily). I soak for 3 days with a pump in the bucket/sink, turned way down so that it provides agitation but doesn't bang the screen around

16. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    Do you think this screen will work? @Turbo

17. Turbo

I don't see why not

18. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo this is the total amount of growth from 07/20 to today. Is this normal progress? Any advice of what to increase or decrease? Currently feeding about 4 cubes food pd.

BF9AFA4C-CE14-4993-B2BA-AABBAB68332F.jpeg 45B0E4C9-59CF-40A4-B047-E707A542E877.jpeg

19. Turbo

Not bad, but if you didn't touch the screen at all (not even rinsing it) for 5 weeks, that might have affected things.

During startup, you will want to rinse the screen and maybe swipe your palm across the screen or rub gently with your fingertips every 7-10 days in order to loose and remove any slimy type growth, and prevent the buildup of detritus.

You can generally continue this "palm swipe & rinse" level of cleaning every 10-14 days once you get a decent base of growth and there's no slime buildup. sometimes you'll get localized clumps of growth that you will want to thin out just by picking about half of the excess growth off.

Overall though it looks like a good start. Remember, the thing to judge is how your tank looks - not necessarily how much algae you grow and/or how fast it grows.

20. Theo

Theo New Member

China
    @Turbo this is the total amount of growth from 15/09. I’ve been swiping the slime buildup off every 7 days. I started getting Cyanobacteria on my rocks so I turned down light intensity of the tank lights and slowed down on the feeding. There’s also a brown fuzzy type of algae covering the rocks which seems to go down some after turning down the tank lights.

Currently the scrubber light is set to between40-45%, running 24/7. Water flow over screen is also set to your suggestion. Do you have any advice or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it!

36CC3713-C588-400A-93D4-D92983F897B7.jpeg 67EBD256-A4B3-4388-8449-DCB6C33A3429.jpeg 4051B7B3-6B0E-4EA7-8C2F-D6458F8055C7.jpeg ABEEB8BC-A62A-4355-BD93-310C34650359.jpeg 0FC339BE-8A91-4962-875C-75021518F607.jpeg 0D961D49-FC63-4266-A880-F061862ECD0A.jpeg