1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to site

Discussion in 'New Members' started by reefer madness, Dec 17, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. reefer madness

reefer madness New Member

Just got logged on to join you guys in this forum. Member of another forum but WOW, not to fair with members.

Now about me,

Wanting to upgrade dt to leds from cf's
    25 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump
    copy of water fall ats, L2 version but smaller
    Led's (4 660 nm and 1 450 nm) on each side
    screen size 4.25" x 4.25 split into 2 pcs for alternate cleaning
    Rio pump with good flow
    Chetto while it lasts.

I have a very heavy growth of brown with green hair algae starting up on a 19 day old screen.

Now I will try to photobucket pic of screen on a follow up post.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Welcome!!!

Pics pics pics!!

3. reefer madness

Trying to get photobucket to upload pics. I have other stuff on there but having trouble at the moment. Soon

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Hello :)

5. reefer madness

[​IMG]

6. reefer madness

[​IMG]

7. reefer madness

Is it common for you phos to climb when you clean the full screen? That's why I spit in into two so I can clean in different cycles.

8. Ricky

Yea i always get a spike after a cleaning. I think it happens to all of us. But will be back down within a day or two

I don't like the idea of splitting up the screen because the side with the most algae will get less flow when u clean. Since it all goes down where its easiest.

9. reefer madness

I have only cleaned it with my finger nails so far and it spiked for two days but now back to where its not even measurable on salifert tester.
    I didn't break it in with diffusers so curious if the color of screen is normal for a young screen. leds on for 15 and off for 9..

10. Ricky

Give it a bit. If you see the growth is yellow then id do 12 yrs. i was never able to run it more than 9 hrs. Leds where too strong.

11. reefer madness

When I clean the screens, I do clean the tops of both of them in sw with stiff brush and the slot in the pipe trying as to keep flow equal as I can. Thanks for your response.

12. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Looks about right for 19 days, starting to get some green.

What wattage CFL and can you take a pic of your setup with the lights on and water running?

An "overall" shot is good. Just want a general idea of your setup.

As for the LEDs, for a screen your size you might be able to use a stock PAR type lamp instead of building your own. But if you do build your own, use a 1W blue LED chip instead of a 3W, that will have less intensity and will not 'burn' the screen

13. reefer madness

The unit built has LEDS by cree from Rapidled and have been running for the 19 days. Info in OP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these help

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  14. reefer madness

I think you want this pic too..
    [​IMG]

15. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Rember to hit enter before and after a picture, or else your text pushes the pic over or carries on next to it in the post

16. reefer madness

Between it and herbie overflow, its very silent. I also think the ease of cleaning is great. Unit, both screen and acrylic box pop out fast for cleaning. I will clean out box the next time and mabey do that every other cleaning. I will always clean in saltwater as not to kill all the pods.

17. Turbo

Sorry I saw the first line and remembered that, not the second part where you had already upgraded

Those are Philips Luxeon, Cree does not make a 660 only a 630 which you would not want

Screen looks like it's coming along OK and not burning, so keep doing what you're doing.

How many hours/day are you running the LEDs?

18. reefer madness

I did not know that, thanks...

19. reefer madness

Thats right, forgot that they were Phillips. 15 on 9 off