1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, this is a start

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by cracker, Aug 14, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. cracker

cracker New Member

jax fl
    Hey Turbo, As You know,I have been trying to get a scrubber going since February . It is a self contained remote box. Looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    I have/had 4 expressions led strips, 2 on each side. my screen is 7" across the top,10" down. I have around 45 /47 gph per inch across the top. I run the leds around 18/6 hours. So far,all I got is this. There is recently some green over the whole screen under the brown stuff and more at the very top.
    [​IMG]
    I can make the screen bigger or smaller. I can increase or decrease the flow. I can change the light times. Recently I put all 4 led strips on 1 side and added the compact fluoro on the other. To see if that would kick this scrubber in. I can change this also! I have a long established 200 with a bunch of HA and bubble on the rock. The bubble and HA is a "lot" less than it was. Ok what ever changes I make will be one at a time. I want to know which change does the trick! I'm sure You have questions, so ,

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Long weekend, just catching up

It's good that you have at least some light on the backside, any light at all will do and help keep any shading from causing detachment.

I'd be interested to hear what type of growth you get on the backside with that single CFL.

How much do you feed, and what do you feed?

3. cracker

cracker New Member

jax fl
    Hello Turbo, I'm feeding kinda heavy now. I can't say how many cubes per say. Maybe 1 1/2 a day? I added a copper band about a month ago and a sail fin tang so feeding kinda heavy at the momen the copper was skinny when I got it. I feed fine chopped clam ,oyster, silver side, mysis, salmon rod's omni All soaked in ro. and an occasional piece of nori for the tang. I have the 4 expressions on one side and the CFL on the other. There is green on the screen but is quickly covered over( in a matter of days) by the brown stuff. I have also been doing a lot of blasting, scrubbing and water changes . My goal is to clean up this tank. The scrubber is just part of the plan. All this other stuff is affecting how the scrubber will work.Thanks

Turbo likes this.
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Thanks for the update @cracker, sounds like there's a lot going on

As far as the brown growth over the green, is that kind of a dark slimy coating (that smells bad when you take the screen out, kinda like Anthelia out of the water, and disintegrates on contact), or is it the GHA actually turning brown?

5. cracker

cracker New Member

jax fl
    It's the brown slimy stuff for sure. Doesn't necessarily disintegrate on contact I have to scrap and rinse to get it off (not all) I leave some for sure. so as of right now I have all thes e light on it roughly 18 on 7 off on lighting. I'm going to let it go for a while(weeks) and see what happens.
    Also There is a lot going for sure. weekly water changes and scrubbing a few rocks each time. The amount of GHA is 1/4 of what it was. I also have this white stuff on the rock as well. I think it's called Ghost algae.Now this stuff disintagrates on contact however it's only in the display not on the scrubber screen. This stuff has also has lessened greatly.
    I will let You know of any difference from the cfl side compared to the led side. The brown stuff looks like this every time. Thanks for Your time.

[​IMG]

6. cracker

cracker New Member

jax fl
    By the way, it does look like Johnny! Not the Great Carsanee though! LOL

7. Turbo

I meant that "I" don't really look like Johnny ;)

Now I might have to go look up a pic of the Great Carnac. My Dad used to do a bit at parties called The Great Carlnac (last name Carlson) it was reportedly very hilarious. But what wasn't in the 1970s when you take a bunch of IBM salesmen and add a whole lot of Jack Daniels.

cracker and jasonandsarah like this.
  8. cracker

cracker New Member

jax fl
    You are correct. It was "The Great Carnac" I thought it was Carsinni! LOL Give him any answer and the Great Carnac would give You the question. Definitely very hilarious!