1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On my way to hair algae heaven!!:)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maximus, Mar 11, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Should I clean the screen a little better? Or, is that sufficient? I figured that I don't want to take all the algae off the screen and left some to regrow.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Started on 3/2, today is 3/30 = 4 weeks to maturity is pretty good! I would consider your screen mature at this point but giving it one more growth cycle to prove itself would be good (plus, you have no fish, so don't overpower it - just let it grow)

3. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Thanks Bud. I wonder if the next 2 weeks will give me less, the same, or more growth than the past 2 weeks?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well that depends on the condition of your tank, so it's hard to say.

5. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Yeah, no telling what it will do I suppose.

6. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Floyd, I just added my fish back to the tank and will start feeding a crap load daily. Since my ATS screen is now mature, do you think I can increase the photoperiod to around 16hrs? I've been at 9 hours since I started the unit.

7. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Wow, I just peeked inside the ATS and I see lots of algae! It's been 10 days since my last cleaning and I am impressed! Not only is the algae growing on the sceen, I also see it growing at the base, in front of the glass. Is that called 3d growth?
    Here is a pic I just took about 5 min ago:

[​IMG]

8. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Here's another pic:
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  9. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Here's a pic of the other side. I have never been so excited to see hair algae!!

[​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  10. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Bud, how many more days should I give it before I give it a good cleaning? I'm guessing another 4-7 days or so? It's been 10 days since the last cleaning.

11. Turbo

Yeah you can let it go to 14 days

12. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Ok, will do. I also increased the lighting yesterday to 16 hrs from 9. Will that be ok?

13. Turbo

Maybe but I would have only made the jump to 11 or 12. If you jump up too far too fast, you can photosaturate. Go way too far & the whole screen will turn white (something I call "whiting").

You can get a lot of filtration done on 9 hrs of light. Personally I would leave it there for 2 months but your screen is coming along good so it might be ok

What are N & P? Tank algae at all?

Maximus likes this.
  14. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Niterate has always been 0. I'm actually trying to raise it to around 5-10 so my corals could color up a bit. I haven't tested phosphate in a long time but last time it was around 0.3! Really high phosphates. The good news is that the hair algae in my tank is almost all gone. I'd say at least a 95% reduction since adding the ATS.

15. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Just cleaned the screen exactly 2 weeks after the last cleaning. I am extremely satisfied with the amount of algae on the screen. Here are a few pics:

Before cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you guys think this is a good start?:)

16. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Friggin sweet!

Dark n green just how it should be :)

17. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Thanks! I just peeked into the chamber and after 5 days since my last cleaning, it look like it's almost full again! Wow, I must have a ton of nutrients as I have been feeding my fish and corals a lot lately.

18. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    So I've decided to take a leap of faith and turned off my skimmer last night. I really want more nutrition available for my corals so I decided to turn off the skimmer and let the ATS do its thing. I also turned up the photo period to 18 hrs. Wish me luck!

19. pcezar925

pcezar925 New Member

I'm gonna follow this thread, hey by the way, what did u use for your splash guard on the scrubber where the water trickles down from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Turbo