1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the right track?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by tom39, Apr 17, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Well it is certainly a tight fit but with a little reconfiguration of some sump plumbing. The scrubber is test fit into its new home.
    Next step is hooking up the plumbing and drilling the emergency drain in the side.
    If everything goes smoothly I should have it 100% operational by next week.
    [​IMG]

I put clean socks on for this?

2. Well the scrubber is installed, plumbing is run and the lights are set on a 4hrs on 4hrs off schedule with the switch flipped to position 1 (6 of 12 leds lit) until I get some good growth going.

Also, you guys were right on with using 3/4" pipe, what a difference that makes. Specifically, Turbo, your comment on how increasing the pipe size increases the flow of a pump - You were spot on! Before making the new configuration I was using a lot of 1/2" push to connect to run my reactors and barely had the amount of flow that I needed to make it happen. Now that I have run most all of the lines out of 3/4", not only do I have enough flow to run the reactors and ATS but I actually have to dial it down. Like you said, it is like having a whole different pump. Anyway, here are some pics of the new setup.

Two halves of the manifold
    20140508_202534.jpg

20140508_182041.jpg

New plumbing installed

20140508_214813.jpg

20140508_214829.jpg

20140508_214857.jpg

It is definitely a tight fit but it is all in there and besides a bit of tweaking on the flow I think I am done. Plus I don't think that I could get anymore under that stank even if I had to.

Lastly, I took some picks of the tank before the scrubber was put online and I will update the progress, if it works or not and post them to the thread

Thanks for looking and for all the help,
    Tom G

3. WOO HOO!!!!! I have algae growing on my screen!!!! And it has only been 4 days. I am so freeking excited.

4. IAmNotGr33n

IAmNotGr33n Member Customer

Yeah!!!! Thats grate!

5. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Nice!!! Glad it working for you. The 3/4" is a huge difference for sure.

6. So this is my screen after about 10 days.
    Does it appear that the growth you see is consistent with what is common?
    Also, my photo period is 3 cycles of 4hrs on then 4hrs off with 3 deep red leds on each side.

Thanks
    Tom G

[​IMG]

I put clean socks on for this?

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's really hard to draw any conclusion until you are a few weeks in. Some systems take longer to get rolling. I have seen plenty of screens like this at the 10 day point, so just be patient, and don't over-clean

8. Kool, I was hoping you would say that.

9. Here is a pic of the screen at 19 days online. Starting to fill in a little more and also seeing a bit of green growth. The algae in my tank is starting to come back but does not appear to be as strong as before. 20140527_152833.jpg

10. [​IMG]
    Here's my growth a few days shy of 1 month.
    I also did my first light cleaning and the growth on the screen looked fairly even. It appears that I am on my way to a successfully riding my DT of gha.

11. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Very nice build. The scrubber box looks great. Can you make me one so I can sell my turbo L2?.. lol.. just kidding.

What are your nutrient levels before and after?

12. I actually don't think I test for nutrients in the water.
    Unless you are talking about,
    calcium 445ppm
    magnesium 1380
    alkalinity 8.4 dkh
    po4 - 0.5ppm
    no3, nh3/nh4 and no4 are all 0.00ppm

13. I am a newbie with saltwater and in it for just over a year, so just about everything that happens in my system is a learning curve. If I had to guess from what I have researched and surmised, the GHA in the DT is taking up any nutrients that may show up on any test that I perform. But then again, that is nothing more than an uneducated guess based on info that I got mostly from the internet and not experience.

14. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

^^ nutrients = phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, ammoina
    ;)

15. Well I have learned something new today.I can start drinking now.:p

16. Ricky

haha.. We don't need a reason to start drinking.. but I can never find one to Stop drinkin.. lol. Nutrients look good. Soon all that display algae will disapear.

If you want to speed up the process a bit run a little GFO in a bag right before the return pump. In MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.. (oh wait I can say my opinion here and not get banned) In my experience the scrubber is a great tool to keep your tank running on cruise control. But if you wanna fix problems you have to look to help it out. I run a bit of carbon once a month (helps keep the water crystal clear) and If I have anything higher than .03 phosphate then I run a little GFO. That brings it down to zero and then after that it just does its thing and keeps it there.

IAmNotGr33n and Turbo like this.
  17. Thanks for the advice. In fact I was soon going to ask about carbon, gfo and bio-pellets.
    Prior to putting the scrubber online, I was running carbon, gfo and bio-pellets 24/7 and changing out the carbon and gfo monthly.
    Now with the ats starting to gear up and hopefully working as anticipated. Should I remove the bio-pellet reactor from the system? If so, should I do it after the ats is in full swing or now?
    Thanks,
    Tom G

18. Ricky

I would remove it a little a a time. Remove 10-20% of the bio pellets every two weeks or so until you are down to zero. Never do anything all at once.

You will probably be surprised to hear that activated carbon stops working after a week or so. After a week bacteria and slime grows all over the pores and at that point it turns into another biological filter.

To combat this and not waste your money there are a few options. Once is run less carbon and change once a week (annoying). Another is run carbon for a week then remove and only run if you feel the need to. And third is kneading your carbon bag every day. I learned this when I was doing zeovit. By kneading the bag you avoid slime and other stuff from growing and get your carbon to last longer. And contrary to popular belief the little bit of black powder that is released into the water does not harm anything. (I did this for a year).

A note on GFO is that If it doesn't tumble it turns into a big block of Iron. You can fight this by mixing GFO with Carbon. That way the carbon keeps the GFO from fusing. But then you go back to changing carbon every week when the GFO is probably still good.. haha..

So what I do is I run these chemicals only if I NEED to. Test your parameters, monitor weekly and run stuff if you have to.. This will safe you money and frustration.

Hope it helps and makes sense to you. Others please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. (Except for Garf and his shenanigans)

19. Thanks for the heads up and advice, I hadn't given much thought about the change in bio-load when removing the pellets. I only run 175ml if pellets but like everything in this hobby, slow and steady wins the race.
    I run the carbon and gfo in brs reactors which keeps the gfo tumbling but I hadn't realized that carbon clogs that quickly. Good to know. Maybe I will start a bi-monthly change out.
    Thanks again,
    Tom G

20. Well it has been 13 days since my last cleaning and 6 weeks 4 days since my ATS was put online.
    AND THIS THING IS MAKING ALGAE LIKE A CHAMP!
    Here is the latest pics. :)

20140623_171020.jpg 20140623_171026.jpg 20140623_171102.jpg 20140623_171935.jpg

I harvested 11.2 oz of beautiful algae and I pitched it in the trash.

Thanks for looking,
    Tom G