1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the right track?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by tom39, Apr 17, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yeah, a small change like that should be OK.

I guess the other question is, with the reduction in growth have you seen your nutrients rise or your tank algae return?

2. I haven't found any nutrients when testing and I have only a little growth of algae anywhere else. So I think that you are right and I will reduce the lighting to see if that corrects the issue.

3. For the last few months I have done the bare minimum in maintenance and haven't done much of anything tanks. This also goes for my ATS which had not been cleaned in forever. So I cleaned up my ATC and got it back up and running. The pump that I was using also ran other reactors which were removed during the cleanup and the pump was too strong to run just the ATS. So currently I have a MJ900 feeding it just to keep the screen wet and start growing again. I need to pickup another pump and was looking to see what volume of water you thought I needed for my scrubber.
    If I recall correctly, my screen is 8" x 4" with a 3/4" slot tube.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

For an 8" wide screen, 8x35 = 280 GPH, I would use a Rio 1400 or equivalent. Once you factor in head loss, that would put you in about the right place. Rio 1100 minimum.

5. I appreciate the advice, thank you for your help.

6. Been quite some time since I last updated my topic so I thought I would add a comment. Scrubber is still running like a champ and it's seems like forever since I've had a speck of gha in my dt. Here is a pic of my last cleanings bounty. Right at 10 oz in 2 weeks of growth.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Tom

Turbo likes this.
  7. Turbo

Nice!!

8. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Its looking good!!! I get my scrubber enclosure today from the local Salt water shop. They do custom acrylic work there so I had them build be one. Perhaps I should take a bunch of pics and make a post. This one will be all 420nm LED, no red at all.

9. I would love to see it and know how the lighting works out.

10. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Its just a regular old waterfall type but I will have huge heat sinks on it to keep the 420's cool. I am undecided if I am going to make the LED's dimmable or not. I get it in a couple hours, I will post some pics later.

11. JDCpuwiz

JDCpuwiz New Member

New to this forum and relatively new tank owner (2 years). I have read through this entire thread and I am pretty pumped about building my own ATS at this point. This forum has proven to be very informative, thanks for that! Great job on the ATS build, Tom. I think I will start a new thread asking for advise as Tom did with this one.

12. This is an awesome forum and I have never had a question dumb, simple or complex that Bud is not willing to help out with. Now that you found this site you, your fish and tank will be happy you did.
    Good luck with your build, looking forward to seeing your thread.

Tom

13. So I thought that I would update my progress and share a few pics of my latest harvest. One note is that since I am in the process of setting up a new tank my current setup with the ATS which only has coral in it has received very little attention and has been neglected.
    Anyway this is about 4 weeks of growth with 1/2 cube 2x a week.
    Each piece or the harvest is about 1.5" thick and the entire harvest weights a little over 1lb and that is with the water drained.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

atoll likes this.
  14. Turbo

Looks like that came off in one connected sheet, I'm guessing that the screen under it was bare afterward - the algae had detached from the screen due to the length of the growth period. I've had this happen at 18-20 days! When it does, you will want to ease up on the photoperiod and/or intensity for a few days to allow the screen to start up again. It's not a total re-start, but you can have issues with photosaturation for a while until you get enough growth again

15. It had some growth left but not a lot. I cut the intensity back to 50%, thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk