1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Option to puchase "broken in" screen

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Q&A' started by ddalgleish, Apr 21, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. ddalgleish

ddalgleish Member Customer

Texas
    Just an idea and I am sure someone has thought of this already but:

What if you sold algae scrubber units with the screen already broken in with growth? I am not sure if it is okay to ship that because it would be shipping something biological but it would be neat to be able to buy a turbo scrubber and pull the already greened screen from a plastic bag and throw it in right away.

Any thoughts?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I've been asked many times, it's really a matter of having things set up to do that, and it's kinda low on the priority list.

One of the issues is that a 'starter' screen won't necessarily stay alive in the destination tank. You would think it makes no difference, but there are cases where you could take a mature/cured screen and put on a different tank, and the screen will completely die off and you will essentially start over.

Let's say for instance that you have a scrubber that you set up and ran for 4 months before you got an appreciable growth. If you took a screen that was packed with algae right from the start, there is a good chance that if you started with a mature screen, that algae would have died back quite a bit. You might be able to skip over the first few weeks of "slime-ing up" (diatom stage) but that's about it.

Of course, there will be many cases where a mature screen would grow gangbusters right from the start in a different tank. I would think that one could at least get a 2 week jump start past the initial break-in stages, but that's probably all I could guarantee.

Once I get things set up so that I am not manually fabricating every part of every scrubber, I might be able to turn my attention to items like this (and ship overnight in a flat envelope, at least within the CONUS)