1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlet size.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atoll, Oct 6, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. atoll

atoll Member

Hi Bud forgive me if I am mistaken but did you up the outlet size on your ATS's from 40mm to 50mm or1.1/2" yo 2"? If so why was that please? Thank you.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

From the Rev 3 > Rev 4, what changed was the OD of the outlet, but that was due to the revised design. The ID of the drain staying the same was the goal.

So the Rev 3 used a threaded hole on the bottom of the unit, which was for a 1.25" threaded fitting (1.25" thread x 1.5" slip, so 1.5" drain pipe). I cut off part of the threading with a saw and put an o-ring on it so that the fitting was flush on the inside of the box.

For the Rev 4, I wanted to keep this ID but be able to remove the growth chamber so that the frame with lights stayed in place. This required a sealed design, and I went with a large diameter (thickness) dual o-ring design with a set of glands in the extension of the growth chamber to make sure the rings didn't move and the seal stayed in tact when the drain was full. That in turn pushes the ID of the frame drain section larger, so then I designed it such that the OD of the frame extension matched the dimension of 2" OD pipe.

The Rev 4 comes with 2" to 1.5" reducing couplers so your drain pipe out of the scrubber is the same as before. That OD is really major overkill, but it also means you can push > 900 GPH through it if you want to. Also good for flow control, clog prevention, many reasons (mainly for safety).

For long drops under the scrubber you can scale the drain back to 1" and use a cheaper valve.

Probably a lot more info that you were wanting :rolleyes::p:cool:

3. atoll

atoll Member

That's great Bud. Am.not saying i follow it all but better more info than not enough. I do get the jist of it however and that's what matters so thank you.

Turbo likes this.