1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC crash narrowly avoided

Discussion in 'Way Off Topic' started by Turbo, Jan 4, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It seems that every 2-3 years, I need a new PC. For one reason or another. This one happened to coincide with the New Year, and coincidentally, the last one was right about January 2013, and before that, pretty much January 2011.

This time, I was working on a project (work / real job stuff) when I heard a couple of rather audible clicks, then a really high pitch but barely audible squeal, followed by the screen going zigzag like an old tube screen TV when you adjusted the horizontal hold (I just dated myself). Anyways, the PC proceeded to reboot without the usual "windows did not shut down properly" on startup. I thought that was odd.

Several other times, I would come back after leaving for a while to find the screen was stuck on "please insert bootable media" message like it tried to start up but there was no hard drive...checked, and yep, 2TB Seagate drive still there....hmmmm. Shut down, give it a few minutes, and it rebooted back in just fine. Kids playing Minecraft caused it to go wacko a couple times also, but Minecraft is hard on a PC (never seen one pump out heat like that) Luckily, I have a second 2TB USB backup for home & work so no data loss was hanging over my head.

So I grabbed up a used PC from the local PC recycler, an HP 6000 Pro Quad Core 2.6GHz w/8G ram & Win 7 Prp 64 ($175) and got me a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (solid state drive) and after cloning I was up and going...and I might say, I am SOLD on SSD drive my friends, sold. Bootup, program install, so fast man...so fast. After reading that you really don't get much by adding more than 8GB of RAM, the SSD is the next logical choice. But 250GB is not enough space for me.

So after I dumped all I could off the old drive, I cloned it to an old Western Digital 1TB drive (just to make sure my old PC was still "there" in case I forgot something) and wiped the 2TB drive. Then I d/l'd Acronis Drive Monitor and lo and behold, that drive was at 29% reliability! All other drives (backup 2TB, old 1TB) were still at 100%. So the cuplrit was found. This made me recall a few times when I shut the PC off and that drive was too hot to keep my hands on - definitely something wrong with it, and I blame heavy AutoCAD and Minecraft use.

Off to the store for a brand new 2TB drive, installed, formatted, and now I'm back on my feet...maybe i should get a few extra case fans too, just in case...

So, there went my weekend...

2. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Yeah once you go SSD, you never go back. I've found 180GB for an SSD is pretty much minimum for the operating system and apps. That's a pretty sweet PC for the price. Nowadays you can get a very nice PC for cheap, especially with an SSD :).
    Are you using the SSD as the primary drive, and the 2TB as the storage drive?
    A year or so ago I bought three 3TB hard drives in the plan to RAID them for movies and TV shows, but now that we tend to watch Netflix and not download much, they are pretty much wasted. Times are a changing, now with all my critical files stored on Dropbox I don't really have a need to back anything up, but then again I only have a gig or two of important files.

3. Pny

Pny Member

In addition to backup I use two HD's for data on raid 1, "mirroring", to avoid data loss in case of a harddrive failure... We all know there are two types of harddrives; the broken ones, and the ones going to break...

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I've been lucky so far, I think I had one HDD crash on me but it just wouldn't load the OS, that was back in win98 days. I was able to get a new HDD going and recover most of the data.

What I've been doing for a few years now is keeping a large drive in an external USB enclosure, I take that back and forth with me to work so I back up my work server and my home PC to it, and backup my work server to my home PC as well. Works well for transporting my Thunderbird between the 2 PCs as well so basically my USB is a full backup of my home PC, then I use Beyond Compare to synch them on both ends (that program is worth the donation, much better than SynchBack or the like)

I use the SSD as primary and the 2TB as storage for all my media. Pretty much everything but e-mail and the files that I most commonly used. Actually I haven't fully decided what will be on the SSD vs HDD but it won't be much.

@Matt Berry you say 180G SSD minimum? After ripping off all of my data from that flailing 2TB drive, I only had about 70G in system files (that included all installed programs like SQL server, AutoCAD, etc). I was going to pull the trigger on our work laptops and a few desktop PCs and get something that was more in the 120G range. My PC, which is likely the one that has the most stuff on it since I am the defacto IT department, has about 170G on a 250G drive it but 70+ of that is my personal stuff (also mirrored on the 2TB drive) which I would likely keep on the 250G drive, leaving only 90 on the main drive. Most everyone else would have more like 60G + email so I thought 120 would be fine - you're making me re-think that.

I suppose the price difference between 120 and 180 is probably not that much though...

5. Turbo

Here's one for you. My work server is an old Dell Poweredge 2900. Just a file server right now. Running Raid 6 with 6x 73G 10000K drives (1 hot spare). I was thinking of making these SSDs instead of finding 6 larger (and likely, used) 10000K drives. Thoughts?

6. Turbo

Just checked 2 PCs at work, one is a laptop with 300G and the other is a 250G, both of them use only 60G. So what would be the problem with using a 120g on these? Right now on Amazon I can snag a Crucial 128g for $60 or 256g for $90. I'm not THAT much of a penny pincher when it comes to work PCs, I just like the knowledge...

7. Matt Berry

No problem at all using a 120GB SSD. Just for me personally, I found that it doesn't quite cut it for my primary drive. If you have 8GB of RAM, the O/S will probably want to allocate more space for swap/virtual memory (several gigs), which will lower the amount usable further. But if the PC's are only using 60 gigs for the O/S and apps, a 120GB SSD will be fine.

For the file server an SSD should work great. I'm not sure about the requirements of the file server, but if you're not serving massive files constantly an SSD would work great. The six 10k drives would possibly have an edge on the SSD for maximum throughput, but I think the SSD would perform better overall due to the lower latency.

Turbo likes this.
  8. Turbo

Actually I just read a review of Windows 7 & 8 memory useage and they basically said that unless you are doing high-end gaming or big DB applications, more than 8GB of memory will do virtually nothing for you. There was about a 30% increase in benchmarks from 2GB to 4GB, then about 3% more from 4GB to 8GB, but in most cases W7 never really used more than 4GB of memory.

The old standby used to be the #1 way to increase performance is to max out your ram (back in XP days, that was 4MB IIRC) and that worked. Beyond that it was up your processor, MB, etc. Now it seems that with a quad core PC at 2.5 GHz or better running Win 7 Pro 64-bit and 8GB of RAM, you're covered for just about anything you can throw at it for the normal everyday user. Seems the current way to increase performance is now the SSD.

FWIW I'm running the same PC (without the SSD) at work using AutoCAD LT 2015 and unless I'm working on a drawing with a really big/complex Xref (which, unfortunately, I am right now) I never have a lag. What's even better is that I bought it used for $225 which included a dual video card (which I replaced with a better one) and a 17" Dell monitor & keyboard/mouse. I'm willing to bet there there is a PC recycler in just about every major city that carries stuff like this, I'm just glad I found ours a few years ago. I have saved thousands over the years - replaced a dozen work PCs twice in 5 years.

9. Matt Berry

Yeah, for 95% of users, 4GB is more than enough, and like you say, with a quad core CPU (even one from several years ago), and an SSD, you're going to be flying.
    I've got 16GB of ram on my work PC, and with a couple of virtual machines and a bunch of programs running I'm only using 6GB, so I could probably get away with just having 8GB if I had to.
    I think Microsoft really learnt their lesson with Vista, memory usage of their operating systems have been decreasing since then. Windows 8 got a pretty bad rap, but boy does it fly.

10. Turbo

Got 2 Crucial M550 128G drives and 2 Crucial MX100 256G drives today, replaced 2 desktop drives and 2 laptop drives. Same result - lightning fast boot times, program load times, etc. Now I just have to wait out the pricing for a bit until I can replace my 2TB storage drives. The jury is in on this one for me, if you don't run SSD you have no idea what you are missing out on.

Matt Berry likes this.
  11. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Yea, I like SSDs, I use them all the time at work when building new computers. Its amazing how much your hard drive is a bottleneck, which I have been saying that for 15 years since the first time I striped together a pair of the first SATA drives available.

Still I promised myself I would upgrade next time we upgraded computers... Sadly even overclocked to 4Ghz my wifes 6 year old 3.2Ghz 955BE AMD works like a charm. Not sure that thing will ever die...

When I finally graduate and get a real job maybe I can convince her that it will save money on electricity to upgrade to an intel.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  12. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Well my wife started doing some of the beginning genetic analysis for her PHD, it is some VERY processor intensive stuff and she was trying to run it on her 5 year old dual core AMD laptop.... So yesterday we went to Microcenter and spent $742 for a serious desktop for her lab.

I wont list off everything, but it does have 16GB of ram (will probably need to upgrade to 32GB later) a 4790K i7 (top of the line quad core/8 thread overclockable i7) and dual OCZ 240GB SSD drives striped together, which should theoretically make them run twice as fast, but will probably make them run 50-75% faster than a singe SSD.

Should be a snappy system when I am done building it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Matt Berry and Turbo like this.
  13. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Yea.... its zippy. I got lucky on the processor, It will run 4.6Ghz at 1.13v, which is lower than stock voltage and a 600 Mhz overclock. With a halfway decent cooler and better thermal compound I think I could 4.9-5Ghz. Those striped together SSDs are pretty nice too, even though they were the cheap $90 OCZ ones.

It should crunch numbers a lot less painfully than my wifes old laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    I guess photobucket really degraded that desktop screenshot. Not that it means a whole lot, but the windows experience index was 8.4 on everything except the graphics, which were 6.7.

It is kinda funny to see what is basically a high end gaming machine completely without a graphics card. I have not even played with the clock speeds on the onboard graphics, but I will probably mess around with them some so she at least has the option of a little gaming when she is stuck there for hours running PCR gels.

15. Matt Berry

Nice...that build is pretty cheap for what it is. Tempted to upgrade my HTPC now.

16. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Microcenter. If there is one in driving range of you that is the ONLY place to buy new computer stuff. Asrock z97 extreme4 motherboard and 4790k cpu cost me $375 at microcenter. Amazon the SAME exact parts would cost $508, newegg is $479. OCZ arc 240GB SSD were $90 at microcenter, $95 on amazon and $100 on newegg...

If I had bought it all during the holiday sales I probably could have saved $50-100, I know the 4790k processor alone was $30 cheaper, and you cant beat that processor for $249.99..

You just cant beat microcenter pricing on new builds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  17. Matt Berry

I don't live in the US, so that's not an option for me. Had heard of Microcenter though, sounds awesome.

18. Turbo

Doh! Not one in Iowa, typical, there's on in KC and MN though. And Illinois.

19. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    They have good deals on most everything, but it is their processor/motherboard deals that are amazing. They sell high end processors WAY cheaper than anyone else I have found, and while their motherboards are usually about the same as newegg in price, if you buy a matching motherboard and processor they knock $40 off the total.

I assume they must be selling the processors at a loss, since they will only sell them in store and its usually 1 per person.

20. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    I wrote up a build for a shared desktop computer for my genetics department today. $2650 just for the desktop, no monitors or accessories or anything, it wont even have a GPU.