1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pny's first post

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pny, Jul 14, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Pny

Pny Member

Hi there!

I've had my eyes on the scrubbers almost since I started with reefing 2008, but I wasn't hooked until I recently saw the SURF2 scrubber. Being an DIY-guy I'm now in the process of building my own scrubber...

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Hello. Are you doing a surf version, or something else, like a waterfall or standard horizontal?

3. Pny

Pny Member

I will try to do an algae scrubber inspired by some of your experiments and also the "SURF2" design. I'm planning a "multi-chamber" design, a real heat sink on top, more light intensity than the SURF2, and possibly with a water flow additional to the bubbles.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Sounds like an interesting combination. I might recommend that when you start it running, you let it "cure" using only the bubbles for flow. Let it grow until you are getting the thick mat of growth we've all seen in the SURF videos. Then, add a gentle flow through via a powerhead with a valve on it. Start the flow very low, so that you can see if this makes any difference. the SURF style may or may not work with a lot of flow, no one really knows. But I think that too much flow at first may discourage growth, because submerged algae does attach to surfaces but not very strongly, IMO/IME

5. Pny

Pny Member

Thanks for the advice!

I've not really decided how to include the extra flow yet... From the side or from below... I've been experementing with a carlson surge device, which would be really nice on a floating scrubber since it would not affect the water level in the aquarium or sump containing it, (the scrubber would float on different depths depending of the amount of water inside), but the height difference is probably to small to get it flowing reliably.

6. Pny

Pny Member

My scrubber is being built... I had not planned posting anything yet, but I just run out of glue so I can't continue, but there is a bit left to do... Most of the light is also still much to do...

My non-floating "Belgian Blue" scrubber is my own design inspired both by the experiments of Garf and the SURF2 scrubber by Santa Monica...

Pic 1: The outside of the scrubber...

pny_ps10177b900.jpg

Pic 2: Inside of scrubber has 3 separate chambers with a total volume of 3,5 liter. (Substrate not yet glued to box).

pny_ps10178b900.jpg

Pic 3: Underside of scrubber has the pipes for the water input.

pny_ps10179b900.jpg

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nice! Have you tested it in the water to verify that it floats right? What about a flow test?

8. Pny

Pny Member

Its not going to float... ;-) It will rest on the edges of my sump, partly in water... I could add some more foam to make it float, but then it will not fit there I want to place it... I could skip all the foam but it is good sound isolation, I'm not sure if I can run it with only water flow or if I will need to add bubbles also (noisy).

9. Pny

Pny Member

10. Turbo

Pretty slick looking! Have you installed any gravel surface on the inside of the boxes?

11. Pny

Pny Member

Both substrate for growing algae and strings...

pny_ps10503b800.jpg

12. Turbo

What substrate did you use, and what did you use to attach it to the boxes?

13. Pny

Pny Member

It is crushed calcium reactor media that I glued with a cyanoacrylate glue.

14. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

If those strings do in fact grow algae on them, be sure to strip it all off during harvest. Certainly in the case of cable ties, if you leave too much on it it blocks all the light to the substrate and it stops growing there. Not really sure there is a benefit with strings, unless you can make them stick straight up, when filled with water. Great build btw :)