1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulsing LED's

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Kerry, Mar 9, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Hello Bud or anyone else.
    I was wondering if you ever experimented with running LED's full time by turning them on and off every few milliseconds with some kind of pwm arduino. We had talked about it but its been a couple years or so.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I haven't, my rationale is that we are already getting this effect to some extent because of the point source nature of LEDs in combination with a non-flat sheet of moving water producing a shimmer effect (as opposed to a flat horizontal surface with lights above = no shimmer).

Still on my list of things to experiment on. Trying to keep up with work/family is tough enough though...

3. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I understand that, its gets hard to do little experiments now days since I started working for myself a couple years ago. I was at radio shack and seen they now sell them (arduino) and it sparked my interest again, maybe I can find the time to get something tested this year. I fell we might be able to reduce the LEDs needed and the size of the screen to. time and testing will tell I guess. Once I get to it I will just add this pulsing set up to one of my waterfalls already working.