1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for all the scrubber experts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iiluisii, Oct 13, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Ok one question for people that know about zeovit ULNS and how it works

Do you guys think a scrubber can accomplish the same as a zeovit system

You see a zeovit system is always keeping the corals fed daily by pumping the zeolite daily and the zeolite has to be replaced every 6 month.

Ok my believe is
    Run a properly sized skimmer and an over sized scrubber with carbon while dosing aminos plus coral foods and trace elements.

Just like the zevit the scrubber will constantly keep the tank fed and when you clean the scrubber is like replacing the zeovit stones and by running a properly size skimmer and an oversize scrubber would keep the system ULNS.

If I'm on a high note please educate me I'm just guessing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I don't know enough about Zeovit to makes a comparison between the two. I guess my only thought is that the Zeovit system to me seems kind of based around the thought process that you want to keep a ULNS in the first place.

I think of tanks like Richard Ross's (I think that's who it is) when I hear people freaking out about keeping P low, while his tank has P that regularly tests over 1.00 ppm.

I've also read some opinions that state that if you have any sort of algae able to grow in the system, it by definition cannot be ULNS or else the algae wouldn't be able to grow. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it seems to at least make some sort of logical sense.

From a reef chemistry perspective I would have to guess that a scrubber/skimmer/carbon system would not be "ultra" LNS, but should maintain very low nutrients, low enough that the only area that algae could grow would be the scrubber, but not low enough to cause pastel colored corals

Sorry if that does not help answer your question, just my thoughts on the subject, that's all