1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by reeferdon, Mar 8, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. reeferdon

reeferdon New Member

I want to try a ATS on my new setup. (48x30x20) 125 gallon with a 40 breeder sump. I'm guessing about 125 gallons of water.

Question
    1) what size should my screen be?
    2) How much flow GPH?

I am new at this, I believe ATS do work and I'm cycling a new tank

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The current guideline is roughly based on how much you feed, on an average daily basis. Water volume is a secondary factor, but really only when the tanks get large IMO (like 250g or more)

So, try to estimate your daily feeding regimen. The basis of measurement used for screen sizing is the "cube" - like an Ocean Nutrition size cube (roughly 2.5-3 cc's)

3. reeferdon

reeferdon New Member

from my understanding 1 square inch screen per gallon. so correct me if I'm wrong, I did 125 divided by 1" would be a 12.1/2" screen right?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

No, that's the old guideline. The new guideline is based on feeding. 12 sq in of screen, lit on both sides, for every cube of food fed per day, or equivalent thereof.

The 1 sq in/gallon rule fell by the wayside to the feeding guideline about 3 years ago.

5. Turbo

...but to answer your question about the old rule, if you had a 125g tank, you would have needed 125 sq in of screen. So a 12" x 10" screen.

By the feeding guideline, I would use a minimum 2 cube/day scrubber (that's 24 sq in) and if you feed a lot, probably a 4 cube/day screen, or larger. But, I would not use a screen that is much more than double the size compared to what you feed.

So, how much do you feed? Break it down if you want - there are some rough conversion factors for converting pellet, nori, etc...