1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about LEDs

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by J33, Nov 5, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. J33

J33 New Member

usa
    I know absolutely nothing about electricity.....
    when you say 35v total drop@700=24.5w, under the 33.6 max... What's all that mean ?

I don't have any pics but I can take some if I have to pull it out and replace any again.....maybe just the cheap Chinese LEDs ? They were generic eBay ones.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Power (watts) = Current (amps) x Voltage (volts). This is usually represented by the equation P=IV. The driver is rated for a maximum 48V drop across the string, and a maximum 33.6 W total power at a constant 700 mA (0.7 A) current. Hence the 35-700 label, which means 35W @ 700mA.

So plugging in your numbers into the above equation, P=IV, P = 35V * .7A = 24.5 W, meaning that you are not overloading the driver

It might be generic LEDs but still that's pretty bad odds. So have you replaced it again (the fourth replacement)?

3. J33

J33 New Member

usa
    Got it, I think....thanks for explaining it.
    Yes I've replaced it the forth time, that's when I got the numbers for it. Will see how long this one lasts.

Been reading a lot about the adriuno controllers and thinking of trying to make one for my tanks new LEDs...should be interesting with my limited eelectrical skills.....should have lots of questions.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

For Arduino questions, you would be best to ask those on the Arduino forum, which is huge and extremely helpful, for anyone that needs help - very cool group or people! Or just get a Reef Angel

5. J33

J33 New Member

usa
    I've looked at the reef angel and still thinking about, but still the idea of making it yourself....even though usually ends up costing more. But that's not why we do.