1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reckon this will work?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Rumpy Pumpy, Nov 10, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Built a similar thing to Garfs BADASS to replace a little waterfall that I've had running for a while. Not convinced it's going to work though.

Vid here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59581966/20131110_125932.mp4

The screen is ceramic tile (104 sq inches). The water level in the chamber is 2 inches. The bulbs are 2 x 15w 2700k CFL spots and are approx 4 inches from the water surface (so 6 inches from the screen). Flow is about 800 (175 gals) litres per hour direct from the overflow. The green on the screen has not grown on it's own, I rubbed it in with an old live waterfall screen. Tank size is about 55 gal, feeding 1.5-ish cubes a day

This is day 1

Suspect it will need more light. Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Excellent. Now we may find out if my Badass is just a fluke. I like the ceramic tile idea. In fact I like it so much that I will use an "unseeded" tile on the other end of my sump, to see what happens :)

3. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    I've used ceramic tiles before and they worked well, I stopped as I suspected they were leaching silicates into the water and feeding diatroms, but in hindsight I reckon there was another cause.

4. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
  5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Should do good, I know that this particular company will arrange the LEDs per your request. The 40W version has 6 blues grouped in the center, I would change that to 2 (all but the corner ones in the arrangement they have in the stock pic) or 3 (like a "W" shape in the middle)

6. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Thanks for that Turbo, I'll contact them and order one with 2 blues.

7. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    After 3 days - Starting to fill in a little, particularly around the inlet where most of the turbulence is.

[​IMG]

8. Garf

[​IMG]

9. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    1 week

[​IMG]

10. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Had a peek at "the thing" this morning (day 12) and found that the algae was starting to peel off in one place. Decided this was not optimal so took the tiles out for further inspection.

[​IMG]

The algae was mostly that jelly like stuff, so scraped it off before it fell off.

[​IMG]

The scrapings weighed 24 grams, just over an ounce which is about what I've been getting per week with my most recent waterfall (although this is different algae so it's not comparing like with like filtration wise)

Tested phosphate a few days ago and it read 0.03, up from 0.00 a week before. Will test again in another couple of days.

Have to go away on Wednesday for a week to ten days so it will be interesting to see what it looks like after that.

11. Garf

It may well improve lots, with more light. Mine has a 50w growlight LED. Not looking bad, for a totally virgin substrate ;)

Edit - just off to find some old tiles, to try this myself ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  12. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Yes I suspect light is the major limiting factor. Have to make something to reduce splashing too as the underside of the bulbs keep getting covered in salt.

Still waiting for the slow boat from China to deliver that LED floodlight thing.

13. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

What about submerging the inlet pipe, and pointing it back in the oposite direction to the flow out of the box? It would create turbuance, but as there are no bubbles or splashing, you'd get no salt creep.

14. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Thanks.

It did occur to me to redirect the flow across the tiles but it wouldn't help with bubbles as there is air already mixed in from the overflow in the DT.

I think I'm going to have to install some sort of splash guard though as the bulbs are getting encrusted with salt.

15. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Back from me travels to find very disappointing growth

[​IMG]

Course this probably didn't help (both lamps)

[​IMG]

16. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    On the plus side my chinese LED waterproof lamp has arrived.

On the down side they've buggered it up and it looks like this

[​IMG]

Was supposed to be two blues and 18 reds :(

17. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's China for you. Dang it.

18. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    The thing appears to be growing again now.

Lamp update. Chinese supplier offered me a 9 dollar refund (less than 20%). Replied that the lamp is no use to me and suggested that they make & send a new LED panel and I'll switch them over myself (took it apart and it's easy enough). That was two days ago and they've ignored me since. Tossers.

Just emailed em again - if no reply I'll reclaim from Paypal.

Shame as the lamp itself is very well made.

19. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    The thing is starting to fill in with GHA now, after its little setback

[​IMG]

20. Turbo

In all pics, it appears that the growth is best right under the overflow pipe. This seems a lot like the build that @tebo posted with the growth on the rock right under the overflow pipe being the best