1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Algae growing in scrubber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueMeanie, Aug 12, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. I have some red algae growing in my scrubber. There is a lot of green algae but a little red on the sides. Is this normal or is there an adjustment I need to make?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Busy weekend, I completely missed this thread!

I will have this happen every now and again, usually on a more mature screen. What you are seeing is likely some red turf, this tends to start growing in around the extremities after about 3-6 months or more. I will also tend to reduce GHA in that area, if not completely preventing it. It's for this reason that I generally will just scrape this off really well and let it be (diversity, etc) until it gets to be a large patch, like more than a couple centimeters in diameter, and then I scrape it more aggressively and sometimes take a grout & tile brush to it and remove most of it so GHA can fill back in.

Here are a few examples of post-cleaning screens with some red turf spots of various amounts

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

In this one below you can see the reddish coloration all around the edges - but still plenty of GHA on the screen
    IMG_4952.JPG