1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rehydrating Screen

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tips' started by re76, Jun 21, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Hey Bud,

I got the Rev4 L2 ATS today.

The screen was definitely dried out but didn't seem to be cracking or anything. I have it soaking in a bowl of tap water now. Wanted to start a thread so that this is documented in case anyone else has this issue.

I am hoping to not have to re-mortar it if I don't have to. How long do you think I need to soak it for?

How do you think I will know if it was successfully "rehydrated"?

Thanks!

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I would soak for 2 days, then see how flexible the screen is. If it successfully re-hydrates, then it shouldn't make any cracking sounds. But keep in mind that you don't really ever bend it when it's in use, so really as long as the mortar seems to stay attached and doesn't all rinse off easily, it should be fine.

Don't try scrubbing it with a brush, that will pretty easily remove mortar, even from a fresh screen. The sand particles are what you mainly want to stay attached, the "binder" part of the mortar is what you are trying to keep somewhat intact. That will wear away over time, and that's ok as long as the sand stays

My screen is > 6 months old and still has some sand attached.

3. Sounds good.

When you say see how flexible it is, what sort of bend radius are we talking here? Golfball, baseball, softball, volleyball, or basketball?

norfolkgarden likes this.
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'd say volleyball

norfolkgarden likes this.