1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing the diffusers

Discussion in 'Updates & Modifications' started by Turbo, Mar 28, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

THIS THREAD APPLIES TO ALL MODELS OF TURBO ALGAE SCRUBBERS

If your screen is very mature, you may be able to get algae to grow faster and thicker by removing the diffusers. This increases the intensity of the light, so I would closely monitor growth.

I recommend removing one diffuser, and monitor the results.

If you are running a Rev 1 L2, you will probably have to modify the LEDs as described in the L2 LED Array Upgrade & Modification (L2 Rev 1) thread as the full-strength blue LED might be too powerful without the diffuser. You may be able to remove the diffuser without doing this modification as long as you place something on the clear window in front of the blue LED to knock down the intensity of that LED - something similar to the black electrical tape recommended in the Diffusers thread.

2. pitzenmj

pitzenmj New Member Customer

Hey Bud,

What do you consider to be "very mature" for a screen? I'm six weeks in, so it still feels early, but i'd like your take.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well it does depend on your specific growth and system, that's why I didn't put a date on it.

A good rule of thumb is if your growth is enough that it requires you to take some kind of effort above rubbing with your finger to remove algae (i.e. scraping or even running a brush across it gently), and after that there is enough growth on the screen that you can see tufts of green and maybe even a slight green "stain" look to the screen, then you can remove one diffuser.

Give it a few weeks before removing the second diffuser, just to ensure that the screen doesn't get burnt. Check the screen daily, the holes should fill in and you should have a coating of algae on the screen by about day 3. If you see any evidence of bare spots, put the diffuser back in and try again in a few more weeks.

4. Turbo

This is a good example of the difference in growth.

Here is 2 weeks growth on a Rev 1 L2 with diffusers in place

[​IMG]

This is 2 weeks of growth with one diffuser removed:

[​IMG]

...and the back side, which still has a diffuser on it:

[​IMG]

5. Turbo

I should also note that I did remove the pump at the 1 week point, took it apart and rinsed it, but that was incidental as I had a fish in the sump hiding under it (flame hawk). The pump actually was not that dirty, so I doubt that really affected growth as much as removing the diffuser did.

Regardless, this shows that if you have a good base of growth (mature screen) that the diffusers are not necessary - the screen won't get burned off from the intensity increase.