1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rev 3 (HF) Upgrade Kits for your Rev 1 and Rev 2 Turbo Algae Scrubbers

Discussion in 'Updates & Modifications' started by Turbo, Jun 5, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

UPDATED: 7/30/13

These are the major upgrades that I rolled into the Turbo HF:

1) Threaded bottom drain, false bottom, & plumbing (valve)
    2) Threaded side drain
    3) Slot Pipe
    4) Lid

Each of these upgrades is available to all of my existing customers.

Each of these kits are mutually exclusive: they can each be used independently of each other.

NOTE: I will make instructional videos for how to perform any cutting and/or bonding. There's really not that much to it!

The acrylic patch for Kit #2 can be incorporated into the #3 kit.

The new drain system (Upgrades 1 & 2) allows for better drainage and higher flow rates (thus, HF). This does not mean that you need to start using a higher flow rate, but think you might want to eventually, this will allow for it.

The following breaks down each upgrade kit. Prices are now finalized. See Post #3 for additional details and explanation of Shipping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kit #1: Threaded Bottom Drain & Plumbing, New False Bottom

The new bottom drain system eliminates the bulkhead, and replaces it with a hole that is tapped for accepting a 1.25" threaded adapter. The new false bottom directs water toward the outer corners of the box, and has a greater total opening for better overall drainage. The upgrade kit for both the Rev 1 and Rev 2 units contains the following:

- A piece of acrylic that has a threaded hole, which must be bonded on to the bottom of the existing unit
    - A 1.25" threaded-to-1.5" slip adapter (with part of the threading cut off) and o-ring
    - A 1.5" Single Union Ball Valve
    - 12" of 1.5" PVC pipe for extending the drain
    - False bottom with legs attached

* The False Bottom for the Rev 1 is made to fit in-between the stand-offs that the old false bottom sits on.

Pictures of acrylic patch and false bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ball Valve Update

I originally intended to make my own valve, but this proved to be much more difficult and way, way too ugly. Gate valves get too expensive, and standard ball valves are not very easy to fine-tune. Dual union ball valves are adjustable, but still really expensive.

Enter the Single Union Ball Valve. This is really inexpensive, and almost completely useless - which is why everyone stopped making the 1" and 1.25" ones, unfortunately. It is, however, perfect for the scrubber drain. Adjusting the union nut adjusts the pressure on the ball, so it is possible to turn the valve in very small increments. The item is actually less expensive than a 3/4" gate valve, it is completely submersible (no metal parts) and easy to disassemble for cleaning.

This is what the ball valve looks like:

[​IMG]

Cost: $20 (**free upgrade if you have an L3 or L4)

You should get this kit if:

You have an L4 (addresses a flow issue)
    You have an L3 (addresses a flow issue)
    You have an L2 (Rev 1 or Rev 2) and wish to run it at a higher flow rate

Kit #2: Threaded Side Drain

The new side drain eliminates the Uniseal, and replaces it with a hole that is tapped for accepting a 1.5" threaded adapter. The upgrade kit for both the Rev 1 and Rev 2 units contain the following:

- A piece of acrylic that has a threaded hole, which must be bonded on to the side of the existing unit.
    - A 1.5" threaded-to-1.25" slip adapter (with part of the threading cut off) and o-ring
    - A 1.25" slip "street" elbow
    - 12" of 1.25" pipe for extending the side drain to the water line

If the Slot Pipe and Side Drain kits are both purchased, both tapped holes will be provided on a single piece.

For the Rev 1 units, this upgrade kit requires "expanding" the current hole. This can be done by drilling a new hole on the same side as the current hole - it will overlap slightly. It can also be done by just cutting part of that side out completely. A cutting/drilling template and instruction will be provided; if the Slot Pipe kit is also purchased, that patch (with slot pipe threaded hole) will be large enough to cover the existing hole as well.

Picture of acrylic patch

Shown as individual patch:

[​IMG]

Shown as the combination patch:

[​IMG]

Cost: $10

You would prefer to eliminate the Uniseal bulkhead
    You would like to have a higher "safety" overflow capacity (recommended for higher flow rates)
    You have a Rev 1 L2 and wish to run take advantage of the lower hole placement that was incorporated into the Rev 2, and you're OK with some simple acrylic cutting

The acrylic patch that comes with this kit can be incorporated into the Kit #3 patch.

Kit #3: Slot Pipe

The new slot pipe design eliminates the "U" shaped cutouts, and completely encloses the slot pipe. It also eliminates the direct connection from between the pipe, pump, and union. The upgrade kit for both the Rev 1 and Rev 2 units contains the following:

- 2 pieces of acrylic with threaded holes, which must be bonded to the each side of the existing unit (* See footnote #1)
    - A 3/4" threaded end cap
    - A 3/4" double-threaded adapter (commonly called a "riser")
    - A new Schedule 80 router-cut slot pipe with beveled ends, vinyl end caps, and a rotatable ring

If the Slot Pipe and Side Drain kits are both purchased, both tapped holes will be provided on a single piece.

Pictures of acrylic patch (individual patch shown)

[​IMG]

Combination patch shown in Kit #2 above

Cost: $15

You dislike the direct connection between the pump and the slot pipe
    You wish to block as much light and sound as possible from escaping the box (around the slot pipe)
    You wish to enclose the pipe in the box completely
    You would like the Schedule 80 slot pipe

PLEASE NOTE: This kit requires a strong acrylic bond, because the slot pipe is held in place by pressure from the threaded parts. You must have access to a solvent welding product such as Weld-on #3, #4, #5, #16, or straight Methylene Chloride. PVC cement or epoxy is not acceptable. The patch must be clamped in place for one hour, then left to cure. You will need to remove the scrubber box from your system for 24 hours to allow for the patch to fully cure.

ADDITIONAL INFO: Since posting this, I've had a few questions about the need for this kit. I came up with this particular way of doing the slot pipe so that is was much easier to setup and install. The need for this was based on some user feedback regarding the following issues:

- It is difficult to position the pump and vinyl hose connection just right so that the slot pipe would sit nice and level in the "U" shaped cutouts, even after boiling the vinyl hose to soften it.
    - It can be difficult to tell if the screen was straight up and down (i.e. the slot pointing straight down), especially when the unit is installed in a location with limited access (we've all seen those setups!!)
    - Tightening down the union causes the pipe to rotate a little (see above item)
    - The "water creep blockers" can loosen up over time. Older version would break off.
    - Growth near the slot can cause a "streamer". I have actually had one of these spray horizontally from the slot and hit the window, and the result was a saltwater spray that actually escaped the box through the "U" shaped cutout!
    - Noise and light "escapes" through the "U" shaped cutouts. Not much noise and light, but if the scrubber is literally the ONLY thing you can hear from your sump cabinet, then it's enough noise/light.

Some of these items just take some getting used to, like the union and hose connections. So, if you have had none of these types of issues, don't worry about this kit. Like the old adage goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If the main reason you want this kit is for the Schedule 80 router-cut slot pipe, I can just send you one of those to replace your old one for $10. This would only apply to the Rev 1 L2 users and some of the Rev 2 users (L2, 3 and 4).

Kit #4: Lid

The new lid design eliminates the cross-bracing. The upgrade kit for both the Rev 1 and Rev 2 units contains the following:

- 2 piece laminated lid, made from 1/4" Type-I PVC and 1/4" black acrylic
    - Lid is slightly longer than the box; this is meant to cover up the top of the Slot Pipe kit patch as well

Pictures of lid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the slot pipe patch and new lid, this is the only gap remaining (and it can be filled with small pieces of acrylic, if desired)

[​IMG]

Cost: $5

Your lid is warping
    You do not like the cross-braces that stick up and would like a nice, flat lid
    You also are getting the Slot Pipe kit for the main reason of blocking light

Alternative: Bring it in or send it in!

If you do not feel comfortable with doing this type of work yourself, you can send it to me. If you are local, you can bring it to me also.

If you do send it to me for modification, I will likely just directly tap the bottom and side drain holes instead of installing the patch over them.

For this option, you can ship your box directly to me. You pay the shipping to me, and I pay shipping back to you. Must arrange this with me BEFORE sending!!

Future Kits

There is currently only one remaining improvement to be made: the light blocker for the slot pipe. Originally, I had hoped to incorporate this into the lid, but that didn't turn out so well. I hope to have this revision figured out very soon - it should be simple, and may be possible to DIY.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Original post updated:

Some additional explanations, and renderings of acrylic patches added

3. Turbo

Pricing Finalized

Finally ironed out acrylic parts cost and all the labor. I decided to separate out shipping.

Here is the final pricing (original post updated):

• Kit #1: $20
    • Kit #2: $10
    • Kit #3: $15
    • Kit #4: $5
    Flat shipping for one or all kits: $10

Multiple Unit Discount

If you have multiple units, each multiple kit is $5 off. So if you have 2 scrubbers and buy Kit #1 for both your scrubbers, the second kit is only $15. For 2 #2 kits, the second is only $5, etc.

Professional Upgrade Installation

If you wish to have me install the upgrade kits for you, there is no additional labor charge. Contact me to arrange.

• You pay to ship the unit to me (without light fixtures), and I ship it back to you with the patches applied
    • Bottom and side drains will be directly tapped instead of having the patch installed (Rev 1 L2s will still need patches)
    • Slot pipe patches will be installed (if purchased)
    • Turnaround time will be as fast as possible to minimize your scrubber downtime. I may be able to send a used box for temporary use
    Swap it out for a newer, larger, or patched unit - or buy another one

Not to overwhelm you with options, but I really do want to take care of my customers. I have parts for over a dozen Rev 2 L2s, as well as a few L3s & L4s sitting on the shelf. I am planning on building these (with directly threaded side & bottom drains, slot pipe patches, new lid, etc), and selling them as a "patched" Rev 3. I will be giving my existing customers first priority for these. You can:

• Exchange your acrylic box for a new patched one (Rev 2 for Patched Rev 3), get partial credit back for your used box.
    • Exchange your entire unit for a new patched one (Any version for a Patched Rev 3), get partial credit back for your used unit.
    • Buy a second like-size unit, swap boxes, send me the old one, I'll patch it and send it back - no downtime
    Any units I receive back will be cleaned up & upgraded, then sold as used or donated to local Zoos and/or High School Marine Biology programs (we have a local one with 100+ tanks, 12,000+ gallons).
    If you wish to buy a new one and donate your old one yourself, get it upgraded first so I can support the receiver of your donation

Rewards Program (retroactive)

Additionally, I am starting up a Rewards program. Here's how it works:

• Each point is worth $1.
    • Points do not apply to shipping.
    • Points can be applied on any purchase of anything I make.
    Here is how you can earn points:

1) Start a thread about your system. Show the algae scrubber, post some growth pics, etc...basically just post about it every so often. Good or bad

• 10 points: Start a thread on a major forum, such as Reef Central**, Reef2Reef, Reef Sanctuary, 3Reef, Reef Frontiers, etc.
    • 5 points: Start a thread on the Turbo's Aquatics forum or the AlgaeScrubber.net forum
    • 5 points: Start a thread on your local forum, or another non-major forum (that is not meant to be condescending in any way:D)
    ** If you post a thread on Reef Central, try to be a little "general" as to where you bought it. RC is notorious for banning non-sponsors who make and sell products. No direct links to this forum, no references to "Floyd R Turbo". "Turbo's Aquatics" is probably OK. So far, I have avoided the "ban stick" and I would like to keep it that way so I can continue to help people who want to DIY or need help troubleshooting. I think as long as I personally don't start trying to actively promote my products, it's not a problem. I think...do you hear that ticking clock??

2) Refer someone who becomes a customer (no limit on points)

• 10 points: Referral purchase (you refer them and they buy a scrubber from me)
    This is a RETROACTIVE program, so many of you may already have some or all of your kits covered.

If you want to claim your points, please e-mail me your thread links and/or who you referred, and I will credit your points
    Even if you are happy as a clam and don't want any upgrades, tell me how many points you would like to claim and I'll mark you down.

4. Turbo

Made a clarification to the Rewards program

5. Turbo

Added rendering of the Kit #2 non-combination patch. This is the one you would get it you did not want to add the #3 Pipe Patch kit

6. Turbo

Same-size box exchange program

If you have a Rev 2 Algae Scrubber, and are happy with the size unit you have but would prefer to swap out your existing Rev 2 box for a Rev 3 box instead of patching it, I will do this for $100 (shipping included), regardless of size. So here's how this will work:

You purchase a new Rev 3 unit at an adjusted box-only price. This price will be for the Rev 3 unit, but it will not include the LED fixtures, the Cleaning Kit, or the Inlet Plumbing Kit. The unit you purchase will include the new drain valve system. It will not include the Union, and Hose Barb Adapter (you would keep your current ones). You will get a new screen for use with the new design, but you can keep your old one and continue to use it.

You would then return your old unit to me, using the same box in which you received the Rev 3 unit (you pay for shipping to me). Upon receipt of the old unit, I will credit you back all but $100 of your purchase price.

So compare this to the cost of the upgrade kits: all 4 kits plus shipping comes to $60, so for $40 more, you get a new, clean box. Rewards Credits can be applied.

I am working on upgrade exchange pricing, I should have that figured out over the next few days.

7. Turbo

Full Upgrade Program

If you have a Rev 1 or Rev 2 version of one of my Algae Scrubbers, and feel you need a larger unit, you may upgrade (exchange) the unit for a Rev 3 and get a credit for your current unit. So here's how this will work.

You purchase a new Rev 3 unit at the standard retail price. Shipping charges will apply, but for this program, I will only charge the actual FedEx or USPS charges (no additional cost for material and labor for packaging). If you previously received a "first run discount" or any other type of reduced or promotional price, take that same dollar value discount off the standard retail price - this way, whatever discount you previously received doesn't get "erased". You may also apply rewards points to the standard retail price.

When you receive your Rev 3 unit, clean up and pack up your old unit and return it to me, using the same box in which you received the Rev 3 unit (you pay for shipping to me). Upon receipt of the old unit, I will credit you back 70% of the full (non-discounted) retail value of your unit.

Certain parts may also be re-usable and therefore kept by you, such as the union, hose barb adapter, and LED drivers (depending on when you purchased your unit), and cost of these would also be deducted off the purchase price of the Rev 3 (since I won't send these parts to you) as well as the reimbursement credit for the returned unit (since you won't be sending me your old parts). The net effect is that the cost to upgrade remains the same.

For example, let's say you purchased a full-price Rev 2 L2 and want to upgrade to a Rev 3 L3

Retail Rev 3 L3: $489

Retail R2 L2: $370
    70% of this: $259

Upgrade cost: $489 - $259 = $230

Let's say that, in the same example, you keep the LED driver, union, and hose barb adapter. That's worth about $20 or so. Now the above numbers change to this:

Retail Rev 3 L3: $489 - $20 = $469

Retail R2 L2: $370 - $20 = $350
    70% of this: $259 - $20 = $239

Upgrade cost: $469 - $239 = $230 (note that the L3 uses 2 LED drivers, so you would still receive one additional driver)

8. Turbo

Updated: Kit #1 Valve from DIY Wedge Valve to 1.5" Single Union Ball Valve (see original post)

9. redlion

redlion New Member Customer

UK
    Hi, greetings from the UK, i have an L4 and love it, its on a new tank now and this tank is a lot quieter so i would like to do everything i can to quieten things down especially as i want to increase the flow through it (its a +30% system upgrade :) ), i have looked at the upgrades and quite fancy doing all off them, including the light blocker, do you have any idea what the shipping costs would be to the UK please? i dont need it quickly as there are still many things to do on the new tank.
    regards
    Ian

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post but i wasnt sure where to ask this question

10. Turbo

I am way behind in getting any of these kits out, and when I do ship to the UK I would like to try and ship a bunch of upgrade kits together, so I'll mark you down. I'll PM you for more info

11. redlion

redlion New Member Customer

UK
    Is there any update on the upgrade kits for UK users?

12. Turbo

Yes I am working on a combined update shipment - just haven't gotten around to e-mailing you about it yet!

13. Turbo

Finally, the instructional video. I shot this a few weeks ago, just had no time to hack it together until now...due to insomnia