1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of LJY Hydroponics Red Blue LED (20W)

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber Light Fixture Reviews' started by Dave Snider, Mar 19, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

The fixture is made by a mysterious company named LJY. The product is listed as "LJY Hydroponics Red Blue LED Plant Growing Floodlight Lamp IP65 Waterproof AC 85-265V (20W)", and the link is here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M31GHIS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00). I bought two of the 20 Watt models, they also sell a 10 Watt model.

Stock photo
    light.jpg back of light.jpg LED.jpg
    Actual Photo (sorry don't have a great photo, but it is identical to stock photo)
    Light.jpg

Claimed total wattage is 20 Watt. This coming from a multichip LED with 16 reds (660 nm) and 4 blues (445-450 nm).

It claims to be waterproof (IP65 specification) but I am not about to intentionally test that ;)

There is a stand that is adjustable. And a really good heat sink on the back. This light does not get hot after continued use. I can place my hand in front of the light after it being on for several hours. It is warm, but no where near burning. I could hold it there indefinitely.

Useage: I started a thread detailing a DIY scrubber build here (My DIY, PVC ATS w/ LED's). This thread has much more detail.

System flow is ~245 gallon per hour. Screen size is 6" x 6", lit on both sides. Scrubber is 3" wide (inner width), so the fixture is approx. 1.5" from the screen.

I am still in the beginning stages, but I do have algae growth. I began by running them for 16 hours (approx 2 weeks). I scaled this back to a 12 hour photoperiod. At Turbo's suggestion I added a light diffuser to help spread the light out a bit. The growth in the center of the screen is/was being hindered (too much light). I'm still new at this so may make more changes yet to improve the success/establishment of algae on the new screen. I have not cleaned the screen, but I have taken it apart 2 times to check that the slot is clear. I did scrape down the smooth part of the screen to discourage growth.

9 Days Growth (at 16 hour photoperiod, no diffuser)
    Screen1.jpg

3 1/2 weeks growth (scaled back to 12 hour photoperiod and added diffuser at 2 1/2 weeks)
    3half weeks 1.jpg
    3half weeks 2.jpg

4 1/2 weeks growth
    4half weeks 1.jpg
    4half weeks 2.jpg

Preliminary conclusion: I'm happy I purchased these lights! For what it's worth, 2 of the 4 reviews on the Amazon page are from people who use them for an ATS...

I'll try and keep posting my progress.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Great writeup!! Thanks for posting it

3. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

20160531_185245.jpg 20160531_185215.jpg LEDs are still growing algae!
    This is about 2 weeks growth.