1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richiero's Tank & Scrubber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richiero, Jan 10, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. any reason why i am not getting flow over my whole screen? its being feed off my return pump which is a dc 4000 1056 gph...

its all level... the slot is 1/8 inch, screen is 6x8

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's a new screen. As you start to get a "slime" layer over the first few days, coverage will even out

3. ok, i thought i had to have water running on every part of the screen.

4. i just insalled the scrubber is it good two start with a 8 hour photo period? i ave to 20w led fixtures on each side of the screen.. thanks for the help....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's good for a start, and then see how it responds. Typically initial growth is more sensitive to too much light for too long. You may need to break up the photoperiod into a few hours here, a few hours there. After you get a base of growth the system is much more forgiving with the photoperiod.

6. I just set my light scheduel with my apex, i have it on three hour intervals starting at noon for a total of nine hours, should i cut the time down on the photo period intervals so i can light it w/o having a big gap in lighting after the final three hour cycle? Thank you for the help..

7. Turbo

I would worry about that at this point. When you start getting a base of growth, you can combine the photoperiods into 2 or 1. But wait a while on that and post some pics every week or so

8. hey floyd here is my growth after one week of operation, light on 3 hrs a clip for 9hrs

Attached Files:

9. Turbo

Very good for first week!

10. Floyd as you can see i am not getting any growth on the little portion of he screen, why whould that be? it seems the the water from the slot shoots right over that scetion. Also when is a good time for my 1st screen cleaning? thx you for all your help and makeing my scrubber project a smooth one...

11. Turbo

I assume you are referring to the strip along the side of the screen. I'm also assuming that the side of the screen is next to the "start" of the slot, or rather the point closest to the source/pump/input. Could be a couple reasons, but it should start to fill in as the screen grows and flow gets diverted a bit. There might be a few explanations, but overall it's not a big worry.

One reason could be related to the end of the slot, and might relate to how you cut it. If there is a remnant of PVC on the inside of the pipe that sticks out a bit or is at an angle (hard to describe) then the flow might 'skip' by a small section until it encounters backpressure from the other end of the slot pipe. Trimming it or shaping it with a small file might help. Not sure if that makes sense (or if it will make a difference)

12. yeah thats what i am talking about and the where it is closest to the pump source, i will look for obstructions and the such i will try your tips... thx for the advice

13. Turbo

If you can, take a close-up pic of the slot at that end and post it. Without the screen in it - lay it on a table slot-up.

14. ok will do

15. Here are the pics... I did file down the slot some,it my have helped alittle.... Just wonder if you were willing to cut the slot for me how much would that cost? I did it free hand with the dremmel tool .

Attached Files:

16. whats your opinion on that slot pipe cut?

17. Turbo

sorry got sidetracked

I think that the uneven width of the slot could be affecting coverage, basically water takes the path of least resistance and avoids the path of highest. So the end of the slot closest to the source is generally the highest resistance for a few reasons, and then if you have an area with larger width this will magnify the effect.

However the flipside is that in that area with higher flow, you will get better growth and this will tend to divert flow to the lower growth areas (less resistance). But in the perfect world you want a nice straight even slot to minimize this effect.

And yes I can make one for you and it's not that much $$. I would just cut the slot to length and leave 6" or so on either side for you to cut to length and install endcaps/adapters as you need. One of these days I will probably start stocking standard slot pipe sizes.

18. sweet give me a price, the pipe i used was 3/4 inch and it is 16" long and the screen i think was 6w x8L i will get back to you on the exact screen size when i get home. Thank you so much once again

19. should i increase the photo period on my scrubber right now at 10 hrs been running for 2 weeks, using led lights

20. whats up Floyd any updates for me?