1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sabbaths L2 progress

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by sabbath, Dec 3, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Instead of pulling it completely, can you just slow the flow down to a "minimal" level so that it still is functional, and if for some reason you need to "kick it in" you won't have a ramp-up? Maybe I don't understand Zeo, so help me out here. I'm assuming that it is like other filtration system that are biologically related, that is, it just doesn't "start up" immediately.

2. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

No more Zeo and more flow

I was thinking about doing that but I'm not sure that Zeo would react right. So my thinking was to just stop it for now as I just dumped out all of the stones. So hopefully the ATS and the skimmer will keep things under control at this point. Maybe I will dose a 1/4 the usual into the tank for a week or so. I will consider firing up Zeo again in the future if the corals colors look bad.

Wow I just tested mine and I had the valve about 95% open and it was about 200gph. I must have had mine running at around 130-150gph. I have it turned all the way up now.

Hay! How do I add multiple quotes to a reply?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You click the icon to the right of "reply with quote" to mark the post you want to quote, it has the quote mark in a note bubble with a "+" next to it. Then click "reply with quote" when you've marked them all (fixed yours)

4. Turbo

Whoa, you were running the Rio 1100 at 95% and getting 130-150 GPH? Can you post a pic of your setup on this thread? I know you have one posted on the scrubber site. You should be getting more flow than that out of the Rio.

5. sabbath

Ok I'm out of town I will check tomorrow.

I'm basing this # on where I had it before I set it at 95%. This was at more like 75% open with the valve. At 95% to my eye it tested 200gph for me. I does speed up a lot for me from 95 to 100% open.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. sabbath

Here is the screen at week 8. This is also 3 days after Zeo was pulled. The tank appears to be dealing with the change to ATS, Skimmer filtration just fine. No big spike in glass algae and corals look good, Yeah.

I just cleaned the one side that had a little lest algae on it per Garf's thread. Thinking to try scrapping one side every 7 days. This stuff already did not easily come off with a hard tooth brush. The white scraper that Bud has in his cleaning kit worked great!. I just scrapped lightly with it and it worked like a charm.

Oh I'm running the lights 9hrs straight and have it end right when the DT lights come on. My thought is that this is when it could use the PH.. boost the most. Hmmm Maybe the half way mark at night is the best?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sabbath

It is appearing that the algae is starting to look weaker on the rocks. This is amazing in that I have not done anything but take the Zeo reactor off line. The glass was cleaned monday and I'm not seeing it yet. Usually I would see a little film by now.
    I'm getting some dark brown slimy patches on the rocks though. Not sure if this is from algae decay or some kind of a bio thing from stopping Zeo?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sabbath

I figure I will keep posting updates as long as there is a change. Here is this weeks progress.
    This side is 7 days from a cleaning.
    [​IMG]

This side is 14days from a cleaning. [​IMG]

I decided to do a light scrapping of both sides this time.

Sent from my mobile

Don

9. sabbath

For the record I added about 1 cup rox 8 carbon in a reactor to the system after this cleaning. My first impression is that it is helping clear the DT algae. My thought is that it is helping by removing junk from the DT algae die off. So not as much die off is just refeeding the DT algae.
    I'm going to try to observe for a slow down in the clearing and then replace the carbon.

Sent from my mobile

Don

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. sabbath

The algae is still on the decline. :)
    (Sorry, I don't know how to take good pictures.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my mobile

Don

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  11. sabbath

This time I cleaned just the side with the brown at the center.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my mobile

Don

12. Turbo

Just a reminder, when you clean one side, make sure to rinse the whole screen in tap water. You want to release all loosely-held algae and any coating of slimy stuff. This is an instance where you can use a sink sprayer as long as it's not on full throttle. This also kills off baby copepods (at least most of them) so that they won't cause detachment of the algae that is not harvested.

13. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Is the screen getting thicker, or is it my imagination ?

14. sabbath

Great as I ran both sides under water to rinse it off while rubbing my fingers around at the algae. Also the algae is very attached now.

It is and even the area that was brown was a 3/16" mat :).

15. gguertin

gguertin New Member Customer

Is your display tank algae still declining from the last pictures or is it still hanging around?

16. sabbath

Welcome to Greg!

It is :). It appears to be doing it in different ways every few days. A few days ago the brown slime backed off. Now the sand looks cleaner. The algae on the rocks is still there from the pics but is is turning more of a light brown color. I think I could speed it up with a brush and scrap it off some. But so far I have been just observing the slow die off. I'm thinking I will change the carbon again.
    Oh and the corals look as good as ever.

Sent from my mobile

Don

17. Turbo

Great to hear. I think that a lot of it has to do with food and lighting. On my tank, which is still running my "tester" UAS box, I had a horrible algae problem. I was running a canister filter and blowing algae off rocks 2x/month and it just seemed to be getting worse and worse. I finished off a bag of DIY food and switched to a couple bags of Rod's food (one was the standard reef and the other was krill) and started alternating using those. Around the same time, I did a 40g PWC and siphoned out a bunch of algae (cycled the siphoned water through a filter sock then back into the tank for about 30 minutes then did the water change). That knocked it back a bit, but still had to run the canister a few weeks later, when I did another cleaning. Then I turned the tank light cycle back several hours on each end before I left for a few days after Christmas, so the tank went 4 days without food and with lower light. Now after a few weeks of this, almost all the tank algae has receded.

I recently tested the water and found that my Alk was rather high for my preference, at 11, I usually keep it around 9. I think I dosed it way up before I left. Nitrate was at 10 (down from 20 last time I tested) and P at 0.30 (up from 0.20). K at 340, Salinity 34, Cal 380, mag 1305. pH I don't know because I cracked my Hanna probe trying to remove it to soak & recalibrate, new one on the way.

Srusso keeps bugging me to ditch the UAS and put on the waterfall but now I am intrigued as to whether or not my problem was related to the food. I have too much other stuff going on to pay attention to my own tank unfortunately but it seems there are a lot of factors that can influence algae growth in the tank. I still think the UAS (at least mine) does not fare well against a larger SW tank in general.

18. sabbath

So here is another vote for not over blasting the rocks. I'm still not convinced that the UAS are here to stay. Your success sounds more like its coming from your aggressive cleaning and lights out.

Here is this weeks cleaning. The first pic is 7 days and the second is 14days. So this harvest is 14 days. It weighed in at 44.7g.
    Just checked my ALK and it is holding right at 6.9dkh. This is with a 35ml dose a day, still from when running Zeo.
    I'm going to bump it up a little as now without Zeo I think it should be up some. Maybe try for around 9?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my mobile

Don

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  19. sabbath

Well I pulled the Skimmer as an experiment. I'm looking to upgrade from a 120g to a 180g with a L2. So now is the best time to see how running full ATS goes.
    Hmm already might be to small. [​IMG]

Here is a pic of another big motivator on doing this. I have lost a few corals to aggressive stripping of the organics in the system. I hoping this Chalice comes back now.
    [​IMG]
    Should I remove my carbon too?

Sent from my mobile

Don

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  20. sabbath

So far so good without a skimmer.
    For some reason the ORP has been slowly raising a couple points a day sense I pulled the skimmer. I would have thought it would have gone the other way.