1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today

Screen & Fasteners

The ideal growth substrate material, and how to keep it in place

1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Turbo submitted a new resource:

Screen & Fasteners - The ideal growth substrate material, and how to keep it in place

Read more about this resource...

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Turbo updated Screen & Fasteners with a new update entry:

Mortar Screen method added

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Turbo

I installed my mortar screen today. Here's my last screen cleaning, using the original screen (in use for probably 2+ years, I would have to look back to see when I actually put it into use)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it's not like that wasn't working well....

Here's the new screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shot a bunch of video while I was making this screen (made 4 actually) and I"ll be throwing that up on YouTube soon.

Basically, I roughed up the screen initially with my stage 1 process as usual, which is a wire brush drill attachment. This preps the screen to better accept the mortar, otherwise, it slides off really easily.

I taped off the top edge of the screen (that gets inserted into the slot) plus the next 2 rows prior to the stage 1 rough-up, then I took that off and cut the screen down to it's final size. Then, I added the tape back to protect the top edge from mortar.

I slathered on the mortar really thick, like 1/4" all over the screen, then flipped it and "massaged" it so that it pushed up through the other side, making sure to coat the entire screen.

Then I used a toothbrush and squeegeed off the bulk of the mortar, which left the holes filled in but the screen pattern showing.

After that, I held it over a garbage can and used the toothbrush to swipe the loose mortar off the screen, flipped the screen and brushed more, and repeated that about a half dozen times. The result was what you see in the pics above: the mortar and the fine particles of the mix were stuck to the screen, with only a small percentage of the holes filled in. Most of the sandy/grainy particles got brushed away.

Next, I sandwiched this between 2 pieces of wax paper, put it in a container (sterilite bin) and placed a wet hand towel on it. I let it cure for 2 days, spritzing it with water once or twice/day. I was surprised that the mortar was very flexible and not at all brittle by this point. I expected to hear crackling when I bent the screen, but it flexed right with the screen.

I placed the screen in a 5g bucket with RODI and changed that water after 4-5 days. Soaked a total of 7 days, then swished it in the bucket (not much came off) and then ran it under tap water and scrubbed it a bit with a toothbrush. I thought a good amount of mortar would come loose when I did that, but it's really stuck on there like glue, hardly any came off at all.

I put it in the scrubber, but I had to remove my false bottom because I forgot about a dimensional difference. All in all, I'm impressed with how easy this was. Way better than roughing up the screen with a saw blade!

danmgray likes this.
  4. Turbo

Time for an update on my Mortar Screen. The quick answer: do it.

Day 0 - 12/8
    [​IMG]

Day 1 - 12/9
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - 12/10
    [​IMG]

At this point, I switched the timer from 24/7 operation to 1 hour on, 1 hour off, all day long.

Day 3 - 12/11
    [​IMG]

Day 4 - 12/12
    [​IMG]

Day 5 - 12/13
    [​IMG]

Day 7 - 12/15
    [​IMG]

Day 9 - 12/17
    [​IMG]

At this point, I flipped the timer back to 24/7 operation

Day 12 - 12/20
    [​IMG]

here's what it looked like in the box on 12/20
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one runs top-of-tank so I have a drain restrictor on the outlet to keep bubbles out of the tank, so the box fills up as the screen fills in. Basically the drain is under-balanced so this is what happens, but it works, I just have to keep an eye on it and dial back the flow usually by day 6 or 7, but since this was a brand new screen, it took a bit longer.

It's now day 15 and I don't want to take the screen out and take a pic, I will give it a first cleaning tonight.

The net result here is 15 days to a full green screen, and it's firmly attached because when I pulled out the screen on 12/20, the algae that was in the box (on the false bottom) pulled off, but it didn't detach from the screen itself. After I place the screen back in and fired up the water, there was no algae that broke free and flowed into the tank.

Huge success

5. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

That greened up very quickly, awesome job