1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size debate

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by Garf, Jul 20, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK

Hmmm... I wonder if....?

Oh forget it.

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Does nobody conclude that the "thicker" growth is acting as a particle filter ? When I grew my screen thin i.e. 7 or 8 days, the water contained within the mat was a dirty brown green, full of detrital particles. This situation changes, the longer the screen is left between cleaning. At 14 to 28 days, the water within the mat is crystal clear. This presumably means the detrital particles have been consumed by bacteria. However, there's a problem with this theory. In my G.H.O.S.T. Screen, the detrital particles settle quickly because its horizontal and seem to remain there for an extended period of time without significant breakdown. There is a difference between the algae growth however. The detritus on the waterfall screen is in direct contact with the algae (and bacterial assemblages), whereas the ditritus collected on the G.H.O.S.T. is away from most of the algae mass (which tends to accumulate near the surface) and the water passes under the algae mat.

3. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK

Yes, noticed that. The longer you let it grow the more crap gets stuck in it too.

4. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

I noticed the detritus also, but if I wanted a detritus trap I would simply use a filter sock. ;) I just want the algae to work better than what I have experienced on my waterfall systems as I feel there has to be a much better method to achieve that, and why I have such high hopes the surge method is the answer. It may not turn out to be, but to me it seems like the best bet to date to achieve maximum filtration via algae.

5. tebo

tebo Member

So according to your experience, what would be the correct guide for the mesh size and the number of LED

regards

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well for LED IMO nothing has changed. one deep red LED on each side of every 4 to 8 square inches of material.