1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Size for 30g

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zaiel12, Feb 9, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Zaiel12

Zaiel12 New Member

Any recommendation for screen size for a 30g? Planning on stocking with 4 fish, and no skimmer. No clue about cube/day, so if anyone can speak of experience it will be great.

Do the dimensions matter so long I match square inches need and correct flow per inch of width? So if I want 12 sq inches and have 105gph I go 3x4, or if I have 210goh I can go 6x2 and achieve the same filtration?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Form factor to match up with the lighting is what drives it for me with smaller tanks, a DIY 2 cube/day screen can be lit with a small CFL floodlight, but anymore those are harder to find. You can use an LED floodlight but try to find one that is "warm white" or a low color temperature, they're not ideal due to spectrum factors but your screen is oversized in the first place so those kind of offset.

3. Zaiel12

Zaiel12 New Member

So what size screen do yo recommend

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think 3x4 would be a minimum. Just to match it with a small light

5. Zaiel12

Zaiel12 New Member

If I run this right off my overflow with a T connector and a ball valve to control flow, it should work yes?

6. Turbo

However you provide flow to it should work. If you're plumbing directly off an overflow, you will want some kind of disaster mitigation in place. Normally an overflow is open pipe, so anything like a snail or nem that goes down it can pass. With the slot pipe, this removes that open path. So a bypass pipe is in order.