1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubber build

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Tim, Sep 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Regarding your lighting: yes, time to increase hours. Your base growth is not slime, so you can safely add hours (go to 12-14) and could probably add intensity also, but I’m not sure what level of control you have. If only diffusers, leave them in for a few more weeks

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Also your refugium and scrubber are competing with each other. Refugium needs constant pruning to be effective, like 25% removal several times/week or else shading effects reduce effectiveness. So I would do a 50% pruning now and let the scrubber get a stronger foothold

3. Tim

Tim Member Trusted Member

I decided to go for a different set-up. For now I stopped the algae scrubber and placed the protein skimmer back.. I fear there will be a point where just gfo will not be enough. I will make a test-setup where I can grow algae untill the desired green hair has settled. I craped off most of the brown stuff.

4. Tim

This is the setup for now. I will dump the skimmate in their. I guess it is a matter of time then.
    tmp_14718-20171017_1247031834532999.jpg

5. atoll

atoll Member

I would worry less about what you are growing as long as it's growing something for now. What you grow is feeding on something or you would not see it right. It can take quite a while for GHA to grow well even months, Why worry while your nutrients are very low and you have no algae issues in your tank? Your tank and your scrubber are telling all well so stop worrying.

6. Tim

So for nothing changed. no sign of hair algae

7. Tim

Update.. scrubber is doing great at producing slimy stuff. Even in the test-setup with plenty of skimmate to feed.. no algae.. no results. All in all very disappointing...

8. Tim

I will let the algae mat dry out and die.. the slime does not come off easily..unfortunately. I am almost finished with 2 led units. hopefully this will make a difference.
    tmp_27022-20171119_1623461804402556.jpg

9. Turbo

In my experience the best growth happens in a system with a good diversity of life. So if you're only dumping skimmate into the system, that could be limiting the source of nutrients to a limited subset.

Urea excreted from animals is probably the best source, ammonia being the primary substance. That gets taken up pretty quickly by bacteria in the system, so it's probably not very high in the skimmate (just a guess). The point being, while logic might lead one to think that skimmate would be a good source for algae to grow from, it actually might not be.

I wouldn't put a nail in the coffin yet. I think you should have left the scrubber connected to the tank and pruned back the fuge. There are many factors that go into why a scrubber may not be producing as expected.

10. Tim

So today I placed the scrubber back in the tank, apart from the scrubber there is no filtration. Refugium and reactors are removed. Lights are now on 9 hours per day.

The leds consist of 10x 660nm cree photo red and 2x 425nm semileds violet. Wired in series, 700mA. I hope the algae will not be fried with 9 hours light.

Should I do anything different..? I also started dosing Canna Fe+ (50% Fe-EDDHA 50% Fe-DPTA) hopefully this will aid a bit too.

Schermafbeelding 2017-12-08 om 22.39.01.png

11. Turbo

Looks like it should be OK. If the screen is pretty much bare, you might consider connecting those 2 arrays in parallel so that you get 350mA in each string for a while, that might avoid any photosaturation issues

12. Tim

I see. Would sanding a piece of acrylic work too? I do not know how much % light is blocked, but I think this should work.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

13. Turbo

Yes, that would probably work OK as a diffuser. You can also get diffuser material from Lowes or Home Depot in the section where they stock the lay-in ceiling tile. It's brittle so you have to be careful when cutting it, I prefer to score multiple times and then snap, but wear eye protection because it literally can shatter. I actually used to cut it on a table saw, again very carefully (it really shatters when it goes when ripping it on a table saw)

14. Turbo

Now I see from your signature that you're from the Netherlands (?) so I doubt they have Home Depot there :p:cool: but any home improvement store that carries the 2' x 4' grid ceiling tile should carry this diffuser material

15. Tim

I am from the Netherlands indeed. I will look around and see if I can find any. I do have a sawtable with 256mm blade.. 100+ teeth TCG.. it is hobby grade stuff, so I will give it a try. Thank you for your advice, I hope my scrubber will perform like yours. I found someone in the Netherlands who is going to send me some hair algae to seed my scrubber (maybe I can prevent the brown stuff from covering the screen again). I am thinking about using secondsglue (pattex).. Would this make any sense?

16. Turbo

Actually a standard-use blade works better on that plastic stuff. The high teeth count blades and plastic blades just melt it. If you're looking at only needing a couple small pieces, just cut with a razor knife. Lay it down with the bumpy side down on top of a towel (an old one). Then use a straightedge or level to make your scoring line, but make 3-5 passes, you might cut through without having to "snap". This is the safest way.

17. Tim

Unfortunately I couldn't find the stuff locally (opale styrene?). I'll make a plexi diffuser. Tomorrow I will receive some hair algae from a running scrubber, I'll try to poke the algae through the holes and cross my fingers. The screen does have a greenish look to it at the moment.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Tim

Today I placed some hair algae on the screen, it already starts to look ! bit green before applying the algae. I'll cross my fingers. before & after seeding[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Tim

Another setback.. the led suddenly does no longer light up properly.. anyone an idea what it could be... ?

10x cree photo red
    2x semiled violet[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Turbo

I would suspect the driver, it seems they aren't getting full current. Any way you can test it?

Have you changed anything?