1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubber build

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Tim, Sep 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Tim

Tim Member Trusted Member

Hmm unfortunately I have no equipment to test anything. I recently added another maxspect razor and unplugged the wire for a few seconds while the unit (and driver) of the maxspecr were still plugged.. could that have influenced the driver from the scrubber? I ordered 2x LPC-20-700.. [​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

2. Tim

Also checked the water quality. It is already quite "dirty" no3 4.0 and po4 0.1. So I will cut back on feeding and wait for the algae.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I wouldn't think so

Do you have another driver you can connect to the array?

4. Tim

Unfortuntely not. I will have to wait for the drivers I ordered.

5. Tim

I wonder if I ordered the wrong driver... LPC-20-700...
    10 x red = 0.7A x 2.5V = 1.75 W per led x 10.. is 17.5W. 2.5W remains. and the semileds 420-425 are slightly more powerfull I believe.. more than 1.25W per piece. I have 1 of them.. so.. think I will have to use 1 led less.. unfortunately.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I didn’t catch that “20” but you might be ok, wait until you get it to reconfigure anything

You could take this as an opportunity to wire the 2 violets in parallel with each other, which would turn them into one LED effectively, that would help

Do you have a 3 volt battery tester? One of those battery holders for 2 AA batteries, with a pair of leads. Make one if you don’t, and test each LED individually to make sure you don’t have a bad one in there. I thought I wrote gay before but I guess with the holiday busy time....

7. Tim

That is a good idea! I'll do that. Regarding the violets. I could wire them parallel indeed, which would run them at 350mA.. and wire each 660nm in series.. I will end up with 3 driver that way, I believe the semileds at half power would be better for growth if I am not mistaken? Unfortunately I will have to remove the silicone though. the algae will have no light for 2 days at least (as I will need to let the silicone set) I do not know if the algae will be killed then... ?

The algae is growing slowly;
    [​IMG]

8. Tim

I forgot to mention that the lights are now running for 12 hours on.. 12 hours off.

9. Turbo

Nope, one driver. Think of the pair of violets as a current divider. If they are matched (which they usually are, at least closely enough) then you just connect the (+)'s and (-) together like you see here

IMG_0298.jpg
    Then wire that pair in series with the rest of the LEDs and that one pair will act like one LED for purposes of voltage drop and watt usage, 700mA goes in, 350mA (give or take) goes through each violet, then 700mA comes out and goes to the next LED in the series chain.

IMG_0295.jpg

10. Turbo

I thought you just had a plastic cover over them? Or did you end up spraying everything with silicone? Do one fixture at a time maybe?

Not in 2 days - as long as you have flow, you can go almost a week before algae really starts dying

11. Tim

No, I used packaging tape on the sides to make some sort of a mould. Used 2-component clear silicone and poured this over the leds, in a few days the silicone sets. It will attach to the alluminium very loosely. It is just there to protect the leds from moist and bumping. I removed the tape last time, but will leave it there so the silicone will stay in place better.

I never knew it was possible to connect 2 leds parallel within a serie. I think you just saved there, I can now use the LPC-20-700. I will first just attach the new driver as soon as I receive them and see if all leds still work.. if not I will try the battery thing to test each led. Do you also have a picture of the batterie device by any chance?

Thank you for your help!!!! Your the best!!

Kind regards,

Tim

12. Turbo

13. Tim

I think I messed up somehow... this is what happens when turn on the power (new driver)

14. Turbo

so you got a few pulses of full power, then nothing? Did you unplug the fixture towards the end of the video?

Something very odd is going on.

Do you have a meter that can test continuity (resistance)? A cheap one will do. Test each wire connecting each LED to see if there are any bad connections.

Does the driver list a minimum voltage drop? Some require a certain number of LEDs, most meadwells do but you should have enough. I've never looked at the 20-700

15. Turbo

tech sheet says 9-30 VDC so you should be fine

Did you test each LED to make sure you don't have a bad one? Using something like that tester. Just wire and tape will do to make a makeshift one.

16. Tim

I could not find a 9V batterie yesterday.. I'll buy one today and test the leds.

17. Tim

Unfortunately I do not own such a meter. I will have to buy one if the battery test does not solve the issue. What you hear on the video is the power switch.. So as soon as I turned off the power the leds stopped glowing after a few seconds. I can onlu repeat the flickering after some time... if I would turn on the power right away.. the leds glow and nothing else happens.

18. Tim

I purchased a 9V today to test the leds;
    as soon as the led is hit it burns very bright.. and quickly stops burning... I thought this was due to the fact that the leds were still wired. So I had one 425nm spare to test.. After a few seconds also this led stopped burning.. which made me realize I just fried all my leds.

19. Tim

20. Tim

the other unit is also failing... what now..
    [​IMG]