1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubber build

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Tim, Sep 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Tim

Tim Member Trusted Member

Thank you turbo, I just like to fool around with my tank.. making as many mistakes without killing anything and learning from that. I accidently added a bit too much KNO3 to my topoff reservoir which will boost no3 by 1.25 ppm per day. I hope for an algae explosion.. I increased lighting from 15 back to 17 hours and will leave the gfo in the pantyhose in the tank for now... if will probably not doo much anyway as water passes is passively. I will let you what happens.. all sps are still looking good now.. fingers crossed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  2. Tim

No extreme algae growth... despite the no3 boost.

[​IMG]

3. Tim

So far.. not good; po4 increased to 0.2, no3 to 5+. I notice patches of turf algae and valonia growing rapidly now.

Lighting: 17 hours per day
    Flow: 3500 lph

It makes me wonder "why is it not working".. I am doing everything in my power to improve water conditions for the hair algae, but it is not improving growth.
    It does not make any sense too me. I will boost the lighting period to 19 hours per day, phosphates and nitrates are way too high and I feel I am on a turning point. The sps still look ok, but for how long? I am starting to lose faith in the algae scrubber..

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I have a thought, and it's a result of a convo I had last night with a customer of mine in Serbia. For years he has been fighting a similar battle, except his was a bit worse. He experienced one of the few cases of "whiting" that I've seen, and the only one that persisted. What happened with him is that he would start to get growth going, and then it would suddenly turn white (overnight, in a 24 hr span, etc). He would have to repeatedly start over. It was on a relatively new tank at first, but persisted for years, constantly recurring. He had algae that would occasionally pop up in the tank, get fought back when the scrubber got going, and come back when the scrubber died off.

When he cut back his DT lighting time and intensity little by little over time, the scrubber started to grow better. He now has the scrubber working great, no algae in the DT

That leaves me with my question to you: is it possible that your LEDs over your tank are running too intense and/or for too long? I've seen people in the past who have adjusted their LED DT lights to their liking (appearance) and it ends up being a set point that causes the DT to get so much light that it can actually tend to out-compete the scrubber.

I don't want to assume your knowledge of tank lighting, but from what I understand, even SPS corals will do well under reduced lighting scenarios. When I say "reduced" I mean that if you are running and overly long and intense lighting scenario on a daily basis, and you cut back the photoperiod significantly (like going from 16 hours/day to 10 hours/day) and reduce the peak time (for example from a 3 hour high-intensity peak to a 1 hour peak), the corals will do just fine

What is your DT lighting scheme?

5. Tim

I have the lights on for 10 hours. of which 5 hours max 55%.. I do not have many corals though.

6. Tim

I also wonder I noticed flow is 3500 liter per hour for a 41 cm screen.. that would be around 57 gallons per hour per inch. Can there be too much flow? 2500 lph would be more close to the 35 gallon per inch.

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Most definitely you can have too much flow. In fact, I’ve pretty much concluded that the 35 GPH/in guideline is more likely the maximum for most people, not the target.

In your situation, I think pushing 50 GPH/in would fall under “trying to force it”

Dial it back to 35 GPH/in at the most. Really all you need is enough flow to provide full coverage of the screen, and then maybe a little more after the screen matures.

8. Tim

I see, I cannot recall where I got the '50gph max' from.. I read it somewhere. Not a post from you, but related to your 'high flow' model. I reduced the flow to 2500 lph. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I should have realized this much sooner. I did notice the hair algae lost its 'fluffiness' it became very thin strings.. more 'hairy'.

There is actually quite a lot of valonia in the tank, do you think the scrubber can outcompete this algae?

9. Tim

I think I found another potential cause; the flow across the screen is not evenly distributed. When I detached the slotpipe I noticed the acylic splash guard is actually a little bit bend. I think this is messing up the flow.. one part of the screen has quite a lot of flow.. the other part hardly any..

So I ended up totday with 1 side with fried algae (lack of flow).. and another part was growing nicely! This is a really big setback.. it took me a lot of time and effort to create an even slot..

For the next slotpipe I ordered a 10mm thick foamed pvc plate.. I cannot afford making another design mistake.. the slotpipe must retain its shape..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. Turbo

I'm working on a universal solution for the issue of flow distribution both one side vs the other and one end vs the other. Side/side distribution has to do with how the screen sits in the slot, if the slot pipe is rotated a bit, this tends to cut off flow to one side. Also, if the screen is "warped" this can happen as well. My idea easily solves that and adapts to any slot pipe.

The end-to-end distribution is a bit trickier. If you set the flow such that there is just enough flow to cause even coverage, this is good for starting up and for some, this is all you'll even need. Flow can be increased through a range that is generally up to that 30-35 GPH/in rate and the flow will start even, and if you have regular growth, it usually will - sometimes it will be uneven right after you harvest, but growth filling in tends to cause it to even out over time.

Regarding the 50 GPH/in, you are correct, my Rev 3 "HF" was geared towards the idea that if you secure the slot pipe in place firmly, you can really increase the flow without worrying that the slot pipe was literally going to take off like a jet and spray everywhere in your sump. But what happened is that I had a few people who had great results with super-high flow, but that was the exception (at least from the very little feedback I got). One person even had a reduction in growth, and the growth was more slimy - and this was on a large tank, so there wasn't a nutrient supply problem. Other issues at that high of a flow rate are 1) arcing of the flow and 2) noise. So I abandoned that idea as a general recommendation but I still reserve it as a possibility, but it's really "try it, this might work for your system in your situation" type of thing now.

There is still the balance factor - the idea is that you want to find a balance of flow, light intensity, and light duration that sync with your tank's nutrient levels. There is usually a wide range of operation, but you might be on the far end of that range.

I suspect that if you have tank algae but no nutrient issue, then the answer is to dial back the flow and also dial back the intensity, but extend the duration. The original idea purported by SM was that higher intensity for a shorter time is better than lower intensity for a longer time. That's why the rule of "CFLs a X watts per sq in for 18 hrs/day" changed to "CFLs for 2X wattts poer sq in for 9 hrs/day", or rather why that became an option (the higher intensity)

But LEDs are different, and Reds and Blues hit the most excitable peaks of photosynthesis and they hit them hard, so if you can't support that level of photosynthesis because your intensity is too high (and the nutrient stream is low) then you're going to see some issues start to pop up. So if you back down the intensity, you lower the photosynthetic level down below the "hyper excited" level, and then you can draw out the hours.

11. Tim

Are you referring to the 'puddle' that is created between the slot pipe and the 'clip-on' device? Unfortunately importing stuff from the US to NL is expensive; I'll have to DIY a solution. My idea is to weld a 10mm PVC plate to the pipe.. and let this first cure... then cut the slot.. and add splash guards also from this 10mm pvc. this way the screen does not need to be in the pipe (the first 10 mm is the pvc plate). Hopefully this will work out....

12. Turbo

I'm not sure how your pipe is configured, next time to clean it, get some up-close shots if you don't mind!

13. Tim

I still have some pictures of the build. At the moment I try to correct the flow by pinching the slotpipe with the nylon nut with a bolt. I need to fiddle with this untill I find the time to build a new scrubber.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Tim

New design. the foamed pvc retains its shape. I'll let the pvc 'sink' in the blade for a streight cut.. I have one shot, no room for error. I will hang the screen in the 10mm space, not in the tube, I hope this will result in a more even distributed waterflow.

The foamed pvc is lightweight and very smooth to run through the blade. Great stuff. [​IMG][​IMG]

update.. slightly skewed but it is ok I think

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  15. Tim

I wonder why these spots appear.. it seems like the algae dies on some areas. Would it be a lack of even water distribution?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Turbo

With the type of growth you have, I’m wondering if you’re getting a little detachment.

17. Tim

Yes it comes off quite easily. If I would scrape it a a bit more firm I think the screen would end up 75% with the canvas exposed. It makes me wonder what is causing this... as you can see some spots grow oké and other spots are a bit more slimy. Do you have any idea bud??...

18. Turbo

It looks like you have a mixed bed of growth, some of it is GHA and some is Ulva. The Ulva may tear away more easily. I had one customer who could grow nothing but ulva, and it detached very easily, he hated it. Then there's @atoll who prefers to grow that.

19. Tim

Is it ulva I am growing? I was under the assumption this type of growth is the fluffy hair algae.. anyway, I do wonder what it this yellowish stuff.. is it algae dying off? What could be causing this?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Turbo

It does look like a form of Ulva to me, at least in the pics. Looks more ribbon-like instead of hair-like. But it also looks like there is something else mixed in with it. If you have the ability, take a mesh media bag and place it around the outlet of the scrubber and see if you catch anything. You might be having some detachment but it finds it's way back into the system and gets consumed, so you never see it.

Regarding the yellowish stuff, you really don't have that much of it, and it's not all that uncommon to get some of this type of growth intermittently. I would not be concerned.