1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubber build

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Tim, Sep 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Tim

Tim Member Trusted Member

Thank you turbo, I just like to fool around with my tank.. making as many mistakes without killing anything and learning from that. I accidently added a bit too much KNO3 to my topoff reservoir which will boost no3 by 1.25 ppm per day. I hope for an algae explosion.. I increased lighting from 15 back to 17 hours and will leave the gfo in the pantyhose in the tank for now... if will probably not doo much anyway as water passes is passively. I will let you what happens.. all sps are still looking good now.. fingers crossed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  2. Tim

No extreme algae growth... despite the no3 boost.

[​IMG]

3. Tim

So far.. not good; po4 increased to 0.2, no3 to 5+. I notice patches of turf algae and valonia growing rapidly now.

Lighting: 17 hours per day
    Flow: 3500 lph

It makes me wonder "why is it not working".. I am doing everything in my power to improve water conditions for the hair algae, but it is not improving growth.
    It does not make any sense too me. I will boost the lighting period to 19 hours per day, phosphates and nitrates are way too high and I feel I am on a turning point. The sps still look ok, but for how long? I am starting to lose faith in the algae scrubber..

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I have a thought, and it's a result of a convo I had last night with a customer of mine in Serbia. For years he has been fighting a similar battle, except his was a bit worse. He experienced one of the few cases of "whiting" that I've seen, and the only one that persisted. What happened with him is that he would start to get growth going, and then it would suddenly turn white (overnight, in a 24 hr span, etc). He would have to repeatedly start over. It was on a relatively new tank at first, but persisted for years, constantly recurring. He had algae that would occasionally pop up in the tank, get fought back when the scrubber got going, and come back when the scrubber died off.

When he cut back his DT lighting time and intensity little by little over time, the scrubber started to grow better. He now has the scrubber working great, no algae in the DT

That leaves me with my question to you: is it possible that your LEDs over your tank are running too intense and/or for too long? I've seen people in the past who have adjusted their LED DT lights to their liking (appearance) and it ends up being a set point that causes the DT to get so much light that it can actually tend to out-compete the scrubber.

I don't want to assume your knowledge of tank lighting, but from what I understand, even SPS corals will do well under reduced lighting scenarios. When I say "reduced" I mean that if you are running and overly long and intense lighting scenario on a daily basis, and you cut back the photoperiod significantly (like going from 16 hours/day to 10 hours/day) and reduce the peak time (for example from a 3 hour high-intensity peak to a 1 hour peak), the corals will do just fine

What is your DT lighting scheme?

5. Tim

I have the lights on for 10 hours. of which 5 hours max 55%.. I do not have many corals though.

6. Tim

I also wonder I noticed flow is 3500 liter per hour for a 41 cm screen.. that would be around 57 gallons per hour per inch. Can there be too much flow? 2500 lph would be more close to the 35 gallon per inch.

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Most definitely you can have too much flow. In fact, I’ve pretty much concluded that the 35 GPH/in guideline is more likely the maximum for most people, not the target.

In your situation, I think pushing 50 GPH/in would fall under “trying to force it”

Dial it back to 35 GPH/in at the most. Really all you need is enough flow to provide full coverage of the screen, and then maybe a little more after the screen matures.