1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubbers to remove toxic coral by products?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, May 4, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Found this old article from W. Adey.

"Toxic Organics

Combined with solar ultraviolet, ATS systems with high oxygen supersaturation break down entrained hydrocarbons. There is an extensive general research literature on this process, and a single ATS research study in the late 1990’s demonstrated that when combined with artificial ultraviolet, ATS systems have considerable capability of breaking down a variety of chlorinated hydrocarbons. Additional research is necessary in this area, as a single study, even with a considerable laboratory support, cannot provide the basis for systems engineering; however, it is likely that if ATS is carried out at very large scale to produce bioenergy, it will significantly reduce toxic hydrocarbons in aquatic environments and ultimately the ocean."

http://www.physicsegypt.org/epc08/epc823.pdf

I'm personally not even sure UV is necessary but I suppose it would seem to increase the effects of any Reactive Oxygen Species produced by the algae.

2. Garf

3. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I just removed all my 445nm blue and replaced them with 417-420nm UV. I have not read your links but I am hoping I get better growth this way.

4. Garf

Well, I've just been reading about how the circadian clock may be using blue light or UV to keep track of its anti-oxidant production, so maybe.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm not sure that the 417-420nm Deep Violets would constitute a true UV. UV LEDs actually don't even put out any visible light. They are considered a bit hazardous actually. They are in some commercial fixtures now actually. But I would think that they UV that is mentioned in these types of studies might be from sunlight or actual UV sterilizer type lamps, or am I way wrong?

6. Garf

It's a bit vague with regard to wavelength;