1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrubbing DownUnder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zyka70, Aug 10, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Zyka70

Zyka70 New Member

So about 2 months ago I managed to snag a used L4 Rev3 Turbo ATS on R2R. After a fair bit of hassle and waiting for freight forwarder it arrived in Melbourne. I finally had the chance to set it up - not on my reef tank (which exists only as a project that I am slowly putting together) but rather in my balcony Live Rock tub where I am maturing about 200kg of Fiji rock that I have collected for about the past six months (seeded with about 20kg of quality live rock). The 400 litre tub is in a large box with full climate control and T5 lighting. The parameters are all good , with the exception of Phosphate, which is sitting at a stead 5ppm. The ATS has been running for 5 days and already has good growth starting. It’s going to be a good experiment to see what it can do for the PO4 in the tub before it finds its permanent home in the sump.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Pretty sure I know who you bought that from now, because I had very few requests for cutting down the MakersLED heat sinks like that!

Also in case you are wondering, that is a "patched" version of the L4, I had a kit where you could convert the Rev 3 to a Rev 4 by adding those end patches with the threaded holes for holding the slot pipe in place. I believe on that particular one, I added the patches and sold it like that but I'm not sure...the threaded part with the black cap on it is not something I would have made, I had a larger end cap on it.

No matter what, looks like it works for you!

Do your light fixtures have individually mounted LEDs or are they PCB boards?

3. Zyka70

Zyka70 New Member

Hi Bud,

Interesting info on the scrubber version. Regarding the LED’s I am not sure, but uploading some pics.

Now that we are a few weeks in a have amazing results. The thing works beautifully (see pics) and has pulled Phosphate from a steady 5ppm right down to 0.5ppm - and still dropping!

Brilliant piece of engineering.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Definitely Rev 3 LED boards. Those have jumpers on them between each pair of LEDs. You can vary the intensity by adjusting the jumpers.

Each pair has a Parallel and a Series jumper setting. Parallel (jumpers in the 1,2 and 3,4 position) splits the current so that each in the pair gets 50%. Series (jumper only on the 2,3 pins, extra jumper can be just connected to on of the other pins so you don't lose it) means each gets 100%.

Always leave the center pin set (blues) in parallel (both jumpers).

Glad you are getting such great results!

5. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    Its amazing how good hair algae is with phosphates

Turbo likes this.
  6. Zyka70

Zyka70 New Member

Latest harvest - getting these almost weekly now. PO4 starting to bottom-out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Zyka70

Zyka70 New Member

Finally started assembling the cube. 300x turnover flow and lit with two Hydra 52’s plus four T5’s. But not bothering installing the skimmer - I don’t need that smelly thing in my living room - not when I have the ATS doing such a great job!
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  8. Turbo

Very nice!

9. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    Realy nice growth