1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sexy beast" L2

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by IAmNotGr33n, Apr 24, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

You don't need to be too aggressive. You can scrape lightly just to get the majority off.

2. IAmNotGr33n

IAmNotGr33n Member Customer

Week 3 first scrape
    maby i got too aggressive, time will tell

3. Garf

Looks fine to me :)
    You'll probably find a lot more to clean off next Time.

4. IAmNotGr33n

I hope so, it's growing somewhat fast now

5. hanky

hanky New Member

Looking good there so far, cant wait to get mine :)

6. IAmNotGr33n

It's a hard wait, I know too well

7. IAmNotGr33n

Oh no, it's this time off the week again :)

8. IAmNotGr33n

what do you say, is it almost mature? the holes in the screen is almost filled in after i scrape, the lights is only on 9 hours a day.
    is it time to slowly ramp up the lights or just leve it a 9 hours?

9. Garf

Looks like it could handle a bit more exposure time to me. Tanks looking good also.

10. IAmNotGr33n

What do you think, ad a hour or 2?

11. Garf

Another couple, I reckon

12. IAmNotGr33n

Sounds good, :) thanks :)
    I gave it 2 more hours..

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  13. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Screen is looking great! I agree you are good with adding a few hours. Had a busy weekend with a high school graduation party for our oldest...

The only thing I would recommend is when cleaning, remove the light blockers and clean them and the the slot separately. The blockers do prevent growth from really gunking up the slot, but you will still need to clean it - but it won't take much effort. Before I had the light blockers, you would have to scrape the pipe and slot a lot and then it would still grow algae and clog.

The other part I've found helpful is that you want to install the pipe and tighten it down before putting the light blockers back on. This way, you can get a grip on the pipe and tighten it down without the pipe rotating. In your video, you can see water dripping from the end cap on the right and running down the inside of the box on the left. While this is functionally no problem, you might start getting some salt creep on the outside of the box through the threaded holes. If that doesn't bother you, then no big deal at all. But you can avoid that by tightening down on the end cap another 1/4 turn or so - but it does get hard to grip, I find that using a paper towel in hand helps (especially when hands are damp). Then once it's in place, you just snap the light blockers over the top and you're done.

Great video, as usual. What video editing program do you use? I have Pinnacle Studio 16 but I haven't put a lot of time into learning it - just the basics.

14. IAmNotGr33n

I know what you meen with busy, I just got my first boy 14 days old.. And he is a screamer, haven't realy been sleeping... But in the end it's worth it :)

Yes the blockers will come off the next time.

I use Sony Vegas, windows moviemaker didn't have the tools I needed, but Sony Vegas have a somewhat hige learning curve.,

Any news on the replacement lamp?

15. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Dang man totally spaced that off...thanks for reminding me

16. IAmNotGr33n

Hi need some help, I have increased the lights by 2 hours. But now I am having som dark brown growth over my screen, how shall I proceed scrape 2 time a week? Increase my light more?

Here are som pic of 4 days of growth
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401691549.142546.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401691559.408378.jpg

17. IAmNotGr33n

Some bonus info, I do have hige no3, close to 20-25ppm

18. Turbo

Try not to make too many adjustments while the screen is maturing, or really for the first 3 months or so. As the filtration comes online, things will need to 're-balance' a bit, so you might be seeing changes from week to week - don't chase those changes, look for long term trends

In other words, leave it be for now

19. IAmNotGr33n

Oh okay, so the brown stuff will go away by it self. No need for ekstra cleaning

20. Turbo

I"m not saying it will go away, but just don't jump to a conclusion and make a change without allowing for the possibility that it might be a phase of growth.