1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sexy beast" L2

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by IAmNotGr33n, Apr 24, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. IAmNotGr33n

IAmNotGr33n Member Customer

LMAO :D

2. IAmNotGr33n

I just did a backwards scrap, and only dark brown particles came off. I left the GHA on the screen.
    And I'll check it again in 3-4 days
    image.jpg

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yup. What I find interesting is that this "top coating" is very fragile after you remove it, meaning it's kind of liquidy and easily breaks apart, yet on the screen is stays attached very well over the top of the GHA.

I don't always get this on my scrubbers either, it seems to be tank-dependent.

4. IAmNotGr33n

Now when I got the chance to look at it. it looks like some off the stuff I got in the tank.

I am at the moment having way to much DOC, I am thinking about installing some ozone..

5. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I got symptoms of DOC when I harvested early (maximum growth). This tends to stop when the growth thickens.

6. IAmNotGr33n

Some awesome news

I installed some ozon on the tank, and left the "sexy beast" running 14 days. Only doing minor drags, to remove the brown stuff.

Normally i harvest 30g of GHA including some brown stuff.
    This time i harvested 60g of pure ocean smelling GHA. :)

My No3 have been keeping way up about 25-30ppm, but not anymore the "sexy beast" just kicked it self in overgear or something... No3 is now 3-5ppm, i tested 3 times with 2 test set, just to be sure.

I am thinking the ozon dissolved some DOC, just right for the GHA, or something like that.
    What du you think? Is there a connection with an ATS and ozon?

7. IAmNotGr33n

Or perhaps the increase in light helped, or just a combo of it all. :)

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Once you get that base of growth that doesn't scrape off easily, say around the 4-6 week point, you essentially start off with about the same growth that you had on day 3 or 4 at the 2-3 week point. So your "high gear" analogy is correct, for the first month or so you are "stuck in low gear."

You might have a phase where you get a ton of growth, then after a few months it will seem to slow down as your tank gets "cleaned up". I'm sure you'll let us know if that happens!