1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim continuous surge scrubber

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Matt Berry, Aug 15, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Alrighty so I posted a couple of weeks back in the 'watch this space' thread about a idea I came up with, and how I was getting a 3d printed model prototype made. Today it arrived.

Here's a few pics of the design. Note that this design is based around the limitations of my wall reef tank. There's also a couple of minor improvements I've made in the time spent waiting for this to arrive.

I'll set it up tonight hopefully, and post some pics in action showing how it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's a pretty novel design, interested to see how it looks in action. Need a video!

3. Matt Berry

Just waiting on the plastic coated neodymium magnets that hold down the algae screen plate. That's what those two little blocks with circle holes are for.
    Hopefully they'll be here early next week.

Then will chuck up a video

4. Matt Berry

Finally got it set up today.

As seen in the video, water fills the chamber, the chamber empties (exposing the algae to air/co2) and the cycle repeats.
    I'll probably set it up so that the pump runs for about 10 minutes, then stops for 30 or 60 seconds. I'm not sure, but I doubt there will be much benefit to constantly filling and draining it.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think there might be more benefit to having it run on and off more often. The Adey style surge scrubbers were designed based on very frequent surging.

6. Matt Berry

I'll try it for every 5 mins and see how it goes

7. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I think the action of the pump on turbulence will have more effect than actually exposing the algae to the air (algae always retains a thin layer of water). Should grow well. Like a small version of my scrubber :)

If relying on surge only, it's been shown that approximately 3.5 surges per minute is the most efficient, but like I said, I don't think this totally applies in your case.

8. Matt Berry

It's currently setup to pump water for four minutes, then stop for one minute, so a five minute cycle. Three and a half surges a minute is pretty frequent. Time will tell, but hopefully it works fine, filtration is a massive pain on this tank because of its dimensions.

I'm not expecting a tonne of growth, because the tank itself is only about 10 gallons with 3 small fish, so I don't feed much. But hopefully there's enough nutrients in the water to give it a good initial burst, then I can crank up the feeding and get a couple more fish.

Will post some pics when I start to see some growth.

9. Matt Berry

So it's been almost a couple of weeks since it was set up. Nothing much happened in the first week. Second week I've got some growth, some long thin individual strands of algae, along with a bit of slimy stuff.

Interestingly the algae has predominantly attached itself to the 3d printed base, not the roughed up mesh canvas, so I've removed the canvas from the base. Makes no difference really, still just as easy to remove to clean.

The growth was going a bit yellow, so I've reduced the hours down from 18 per day to about 11 a few days ago.

10. Matt Berry

Frustratingly my cheap motor driver died yesterday. That meant my pump stopped working, meaning no water on the algae screen so the algae growth got cooked by the LED's. The algae was bone dry and must have been like that for at least 8 hours, so I guess it's dead, but I'm hoping it can magically come back to life.

Luckily I had another motor driver spare.

So back to square one. Just when the growth was starting to look pretty good, and the algae on the rocks in the tank was starting to die. Dammit.

:-0

11. Matt Berry

Ten days later it looks like it's taking off. While it's a bit hard to see in the photo, there is decent growth around the edges, but a definite hot spot in the middle after adding another LED. So I've dropped the LED output by a bit under 50% to get the whole screen covered properly before I ramp up the LED's again. The drain small hole has filled with algae, so it doesn't drain anymore. I was going to clean it but it's been like it for the last week at least, algae is growing well so I am just going to leave it to see how it goes. It's no longer a surge design, but seems to be growing algae nicely. I think SM's claims that algae doesn't grow well submerged are completely unfounded. I don't see major reason why a submerged scrubber won't work with decent flow.

[​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  12. Matt Berry

Five days later and the algae is definitely getting thicker. The middle is starting to fill in, so I've cranked up the LED's again. Looking good so far.

[​IMG]

Garf and Turbo like this.
  13. Matt Berry

I keep tinkering with this and have set up a semi accurate day / night cyle.
    The LED's now come on very dimly at 7am, and slowly ramp up to full power at 11am.
    At 6pm they start to dim down until at 10pm they turn off completely.

This is only with red LED's, but I could add a white and blue LED to make it more accurate.

14. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I would definately add a bit of blue ;)

15. Peter

Peter Member Trusted Member Customer

Looks good for break-in period, I think.

Matt Berry likes this.
  16. Matt Berry

Will be adding a blue LED when I get a new soldering iron, my old one's crapped out.

:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Garf likes this.
  17. Matt Berry

Update:
    Water got in to the LED housing a couple of days ago and some LED's got fried due to a dodgy silicone seal.
    If the acrylic screen was just a few mm higher it would completely clear the water and it wouldn't happen. Very annoying but can't expect too much from version one. Got some more LED's on the way, but will be a week or so before they arrive.

On another note, I purchased a 3d printer and some ABS plastic which is be being sent to me soon. I have to assemble and calibrate it, but when it's up and running I can start to print out version two and do some more testing with 3d printed screens.

Also I've got a PCB board designed and on the way that allows for remote control of LED intensity and duration. (Through one of these: http://www.adafruit.com/product/1095)
    Uses two Meanwell Ldd-700H drivers that can control 10 LED's each, so 20 LED's total. Should be enough for what I want to do short term.

18. Matt Berry

Remote controlled dual LED driver board is complete. Finished the programming tonight, tested it and it works great, very happy with it.
    Has a startup mode where over 4 weeks the LED intensity is automatically raised from 40% to 100%. Also the duration and intensity is very easily controllable.
    Will be testing a new submerged scrubber design hopefully in the next week. The growth material itself moves, along with the water around it which should theoretically do a decent job on nutrient transfer. Not sure how well it will compare to waterfall scrubbers, but I'm hoping it it will destroy upflow scrubbers and the like, which shouldn't be that hard...;)

19. Matt Berry

Test run with pictures will be coming soon.
    Test build will be designed to remove 1 cube of frozen food per day. Paired with a Eheim Compact 600lph pump. Dimensions of the scrubber itself is: 17cm x 8.5cm x 8.5cm (LxWxH). It's neither a horizontal or vertical design. Operates submerged.
    Just waiting for the heatsink now, then can finish the LED housing and see how well it works :)

Turbo likes this.