1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splash Block Scrubber

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by ReefKeeper64, Jun 19, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

$7 vs $200, pretty good deal!

So this runs off the outflow of the SM100? We'll see how it does. Are you going to put anything in the splashblock, like canvas or a mortar & sand coating?

2. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

This will be an interesting test. I think that if it works you will need a ruffed up removable screen.

3. ReefKeeper64

ReefKeeper64 New Member

I spent all of about 10 minutes to get the surface roughened up nicely using a 2" hole drill bit and a variable speed electric drill along each of the ridges on the splash block. This effort gave the splash block a nice rough surface and it was easy to do. My thought was that I could create a tray that I can easily remove and scrape clean once a week so the splash block itself serves as the tray. When I look at the water flow the SM 100 is getting from the pump I am using, some parts of the SM 100 screen aren't getting any water coverage (typical). On the other hand, the exact same water flow is being reused for the splash block and that entire surface area seems to have plenty of water flow over every square inch of the surface. The SM 100 has more lighting that is also more evenly distributed, but for 6 bucks I can't complain. The SM 100 was started up (with brand new screen) just 24 hours before the Splash Block scrubber so I'll be curious to see which scrubber grows algae the fastest. The SM 100 should win but by how much?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

A rasp was the bit I was trying to think of when we were talking the other day. It would work well for this also.

Another thing that you can use to really rough up the smooth parts of the splash block is a wire brush drill bit. They make these in many diameters, I have found that the best one to use is the one that has no void in the middle (crimped).

Like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_445716-4824...=wire%2Bbrush%2Bdrill%2Battachment&facetInfo=

not this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_445716-4824...=wire%2Bbrush%2Bdrill%2Battachment&facetInfo=

I actually use this now for Stage 1 of roughing up screens. I use this at low speed and high pressure to take the 'shine' off the entire screen, way down deep into the holes, then I go over each side with a saw blade to get it prickly (stage 2). You could use it at a higher speed to get the splash block really roughed, microscopically.

5. ReefKeeper64

ReefKeeper64 New Member

I definitely appreciate the links sir!

6. ReefKeeper64

ReefKeeper64 New Member

Its been three weeks and I wanted to report my progress.

Negatives:
    The scrubber is working fairly well but it doesn't make algae as fast as my old Santa Monica 100. That sad, I didn't expect it to really because it isn't getting nearly the amount of light. I'd estimate this scrubber makes about 50% as much algae a week.

Positives:
    Ultra quiet
    Easy to clean
    Easy to make

That's all for now.

7. Turbo

Could be due to being on the outflow of the SM100? Though there should still be enough nutrients left after one pass. Is the SM100 growing anything? Pics!!