1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing srusso's Ultimate Test Kit Set

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by srusso, Sep 30, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. srusso

srusso New Member Trusted Member

(Work in progress)

I started building a list of test kits that I believe would create the ultimate set of tests to maintain an algae scrubbed aquarium. The goal of this is to create a list of the best test kits, which would give you the most complete "picture" of your algae scrubbed aquarium. This is NOT a list of what is required to keep one. An essentials test kit set will be created from this list in the future.

I have derived this list based on the following:

1) Things that should be monitored in an algae scrubbed aquarium.

2) Test resolution is proper for levels commonly found in a algae scrubbed aquarium.

3) Based on available research and data, which test kits are most accurate for their given test subject.

4) Ease of use and repeatability of the test, for accurately seeing trends in long term data.

5) Cost is reasonable, under $2 per test for infrequent tests, once or twice a week. Less for tests that are more frequent.

Some tests are better done in more of a "monitoring" method. For this to truly happen and be "ultimate", we would use an aquarium controller to monitor and chart the "swinging" permitters. Which are temperature, pH, salinity/conductivity, ORP. For this the following probes connected to a controller to keep a more trends based view of the data:

Temperature Probe
    Ph Probe
    Conductivity Probe
    ORP Probe

Refractometer
    -Quantum PAR Meter
    -PLOTS Desktop Spectrometer
    -Salifert Nitrate Test
    -Hanna Phosphorus Checker
    -Elos Potassium Test
    -Hana Alkalinity Checker
    -Salifert Calcium test
    -Salifert Magnesium test
    Iron
    Silicate

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I would drop the Elos kit, instead using the Salifert kit.

I have not tried any other Iron test kits besides the Seachem one, which is fine but laborious.

Silicate as well (only Seachem) and I found it difficult.

I would like to try Salifert's versions of each of these, or at least hear about them.

3. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Do you guys find that silicates are elevated running ATS.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I haven't tested silicates in over a year. Have you?

5. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

If your not introducing them through waterchanges etc, how could they be higher than they were previously?