1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Submerged mesh with powerhead?

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by Nstocks, Jan 29, 2018.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Nstocks

Nstocks New Member

UK
    I'm trying to implement an algae scrubber but due to size restrictions and requirements it really needs to be submerged (so lights are on the outside of the sump).

I know that the screen needs a thin layer of water for optimal nutrient uptake amongst other things and I was thinking, what if a powerhead (or two) were placed next to the mesh screen to create laminar flow across it?

It would thin the water so to speak and provide new water constantly.

Has anyone experimented with this?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The idea behind the upflow is to use air bubble to create both the localized random motion of the water moving back and forth as the bubble rises, and also to force convection by way of a curtain of bubbles.

The bigger the bubbles, the better. Small bubbles (like for a skimmer or wood airstone) don't move much water around.

I think a few have tried power heads and the results are you get some good growth right in the vicinity of the power head, but past a certain point it's not significant.

Then again, I gave up on experimenting with the UAS a while back, so I may not be the best person to answer this. Anyone else who has a bit more experience is welcome to chime in!

Nstocks likes this.