1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Submerged, rotating cylinder algae scrubber (with video)

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Matt Berry, Dec 5, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Reef Head

Reef Head New Member

Ok, so I just had to pull my sump lid... This is my sump lid. I constructed the rectangular box with the mirrored and black acrylic together capped with a thin black acrylic strip to keep the SW out and preventing the silicone from separating the bond between the black sheet and the mirror coating. This rectangular box sits over top of the acrylic overflow lip with aragonite.
    IMG_20150822_183302_749.jpg IMG_20150822_183341_184.jpg IMG_20150822_182750_559.jpg
    IMG_20150822_182806_009.jpg IMG_20150822_183614_576.jpg IMG_20150822_183642_537.jpg

2. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Great job. That mirrored finish does look really nice.
    As a side note, after many delays, I got my acrylic for the next built today, but the laser cutting company got mixed up, and I got the pieces cut in the wrong thickness. :mad:Hopefully they'll re-ship it out today or tomorrow.

3. Reef Head

Reef Head New Member

Thanks Matt! I spent some time in the garage today. Check my thread... I'll get a video up as soon as I figure out how to upload it.

4. Matt Berry

Growth still hugging the top part, but is slowly popping up on different areas (mostly on the screen side not visible in the pic).
    Will give it a clean today.

[​IMG]

5. Matt Berry

Took the scrubber offline today. Getting decent GHA growth where the slime algae is not growing, but that's probably only on 10% of the screen. I need to get my nutrients down significantly in the tank, and am switching focus to the other scrubber style.

Turbo likes this.