1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting These LEDs

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Dinox64, Nov 25, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA

Attached Files:

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Probably not, those are what I call "medium" power LEDs. They aren't very intense, but can work ok if you have them in a tight array and pretty close to the screen

However putting them in a fixture like that, you'll probably lose a lot of intensity.

Also the color may not be ideal, hard to say..."red" is pretty generic

3. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA
    Bummer. Thought I stumbled onto something good there. Was thinking along the lines as pictured. Cut my old scrubber that I found in garage and made it the new size today. Litterly half of what it was.

Attached Files:

4. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA
  5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm not saying that they for sure won't work, it's just that without really knowing exactly what they are, it's hard to say that they will, and to what extent. If you want to give it a shot, I say go for it. I have no idea how intense they will be but I will tell you that the reflector that you have there is a pretty good one - highly polished, looks like a mirror - very good. I would ditch the diffuser, you don't need a splash guard since it's up against an acrylic box

Decent looking, the 6W rating is likely based off of the quantity of 1W chips and not the actual power draw, that's what you have to watch out for with stock fixtures, the power draw is what matters.

Algae Scrubber Basics - Lighting: LED

6. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA
    I guess we'll find out. Got the 6 watt(?)LEDs, two for $6 delivered. It's nice finding things on eBay that are nearby. If they don't work I still have reflectors and the 99 cent store has 23 watt CFLs everyday.

7. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA
    Okay. My 6 watt eBay bulbs arrived. They aren't 6 6watt bulbs. They are 12 .5watt bulbs I guess. Even thought the boxes have six checks in the different type of LEDs that are listed. There is actually 12 leds per bulb. Had some scrap PVC so went to work. Hard to believe this little screen is all I need. It's 5" x5" focused light area. Sort of. Tweaking is always needed. So I guess I'll wait about a week and we'll see what happens. This is not the reef tanks I've had in the pass. But for only having about $200 into this whole set up and only wanting a FOWLR for now. Here ya go.

Attached Files:

8. Turbo

Looks good, we'll see how it goes!