1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I need a new screen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turbo, Aug 18, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

IMG_3062.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3067.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG

I think it's good for a bit longer :Do_O:rolleyes::oops:

2. TbyZ

TbyZ Member

How old is that screen turbo?

Interesting thing about the plastic used for those screens, they hate heat!

No glue will stick to it, so I tried welding that type of plastic once.
    I found that once the plastic became just fluid enough to meld, once it cooled down the plastic became very brittle.

If you bent it back & forth it would crack after just a couple of bends.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yup, that's why hearing it and trying to make sand stick to it doesn't work

This screen is about 4 years old I think. It started deteriorating about 6-8 months ago, a little bit with each harvest. I'm replacing the whole unit (Rev 1) with a Rev 4 probably this weekend. Way overdue.

The hole started right in the middle, this Rev 1 has blue LEDs in the middle on each side at full power so it is always photosaturated for the start of the growth cycle. So the screen just got burnt out over time (not literally)

4. atoll

atoll Member

I assume that is either the effects of heat or UV? however, surely your screen can't get hot enough to make your screen so brittle.

5. Turbo

Since Royal Blue have little to no UV component, I'm guessing it is just the pure intensity of the light. Since it cause photosaturation, the material was more or less constantly exposed to light