1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This will work?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by tebo, Sep 8, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. tebo

tebo Member

What if we do this and do not clean the algae

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The theoretical is that fish and crabs eat it

Saludos

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

The algae goes searching for the light, in spiky growth. Then it detaches from the substrate and the underlying growth decays (I believe that's why SM's surf2 was harvestable with one hand). You may find deposits all types of crud, under the matt. For some reason I noticed a distinct lack of pods also.

[​IMG]

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Is this first pic in your sump?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Sorry tebo I missed that this thread got held for approval because it was one of your first posts. I deleted the other thread.

5. tebo

tebo Member

6. Garf

Harvesting is very effective at reducing the excessive elements that seem to be present in nearly all artificial salt mixes. Then feed the tank stuff that has grown in the sea, which has grown in "perfect" water parameters. algae seems to get light limited and die, long before youve got enough pods to eat enough of it, and then they may only eat the micro algae. Allowing large amounts of algae to die off is probably ok if you've got a massive skimmer., but seems like a waste of energy to me.

How deep is the water above your screen? Does the algae just grow on the surface of the water?

7. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    If you feed the tank then you will need to export waste in some way.

SM, I think, has claimed to have a system in balance so that it only consumes what he harvests from his scrubbers. Not saying that he hasn't but I strongly suspect that that is not going to be viable in the long term in a small closed system. But what do I know.

8. Turbo

In the video I see a lot of bubbles pushing up through the algae mat. So this is basically a large version of the SURF style scrubber. You still need to remove the algae occasionally as this is your method of exporting nutrients out of the system (throwing algae down the drain). You can remove as much as you want I suppose, just reach in and grab a handful.

9. Garf

If he could prove a small aquatic reef system is stable, without import or export, just by growing algae in a foam lined Tupperware container with a few bubbles, NASA would have hired him a long time ago. At the very best it would probably be a diet either deficient or in excess of something vital to life, and don't forget he has yet to post any pictures of his system or test results.

10. tebo

tebo Member

Garf greetings, right now there is a very good population of amphipods, the idea is to do this in a better way,,,, to use sea urchins, surgeons and other animals that eat algae, to make cleaning this, well that's idea

Now on the other hand I have no screen, it's just rock near the surface the algae to grow in excess fleet

Turbo greetings, this is my overflow, thus comes loaded with many bubbles, so basically you have a fast flow passing through the rock accompanied by bubbles,,,, well if it does not work the urchins, crabs and surgeons, the idea be removed by hand, just gives me a pain because every time I bring something I take a lot of animals hahaha

regards