1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TrottersTank DIY ATS

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Trotters Tank, May 8, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Hello,

I am in the process of planning my DIY ATS build and I’m a little stuck on what pipe work to use. I would like to use 21.5mm solvent weld waste pipe. It has an ID of about 18mm (0.7 of an inch!)

Is this big enough?

I am based in the UK.

Many thanks

Toby

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yup, that should work. 3/4" pipe (which is measured/labelled according to the inner diameter) is all you should need, so 0.7" ID is about right.

The one thing to watch however is that if you use white, thin pipe for your slot pipe, the light gets through that easily and you will get growth inside the pipe. I have used "electrical" schedule 40 pipe before which is gray, that works better. If you can get schedule 80 pipe, that works the best as it holds the width of the slot better over time.

Thin pipe will "relax" over time and the slot can pinch closed in the middle. Of course, you can just cut a bit of material out and open it back up again. Schedule 80 will also do this, but to a lesser extent.