1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo's Aquatics HF L4 scrubber

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Peter, Jul 14, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Peter

Peter Member Trusted Member Customer

Hi everyone,

My name is Peter and I got one of Turbo's aquatics awesome scrubbers.
    It is HF L4 scrubber for my 100G tank.
    I have just finished with basic cycle on this new tank, and scrubber is installed.
    Only thing I need to do now is to shorten export pipe, and install flow control there (received with package).

Keeping in mind that I will not play around with jumpers on LED board, just to be safe, my question is what photoperiod you suggest for break in period?
    After 24h, with 18h photoperiod, I got some tiny light brown coverage on my screen.

Thank you in advance. sump.jpg scrub.jpg A.jpg

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Go to 9 hrs/day until you get growth that you need to scrape off. Then you can start adding hours, but only if you need to.

Setup looks good!!

3. Peter

Thanks a lot for your answer.
    I will do as you say, and keep you informed about progress.

4. Peter

Also, this is my tank now....great environment for algae growth!
    I am more eager to see good growth in my scrubber, than into good appearance of my DT at this point. :)

aq.jpg

5. Peter

This is screen on my beloved TA scrubber at day 8.

Photoperiod is 9 hours by night .
    Flow is 500 g/h
    No3 = 2 ppm (Salifert)
    Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)

What do you think? :)

007o.jpg 010o.jpg

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's pretty good for ~7 days. Looks like a diatom coating so that's the initial stage. You can take it out and rub it with your fingertips lightly and rinse gently, or you can let it grow for a while longer.

I think @Garf had brought up a point about diatom growth inhibiting GHA growth, but I can't remember the details. I'm running on 14 total hours of sleep and only 2 last night since Friday so I'm a little foggy.

Anyways, the GHA will start in eventually. No matter what, you will want to consider cleaning for the first time at 10 days and definitely at 14 days.

I usually clean my screens every 14 days but lately my scrubber has kicked into total overdrive out of nowhere, I cleaned it last Monday after 14 days and the growth was big, and yesterday (day 6) it had the most growth I've ever seen on it on any scrubber I've ever ran (relative to the size of the screen, that is). I had to dial the flow back because I didn't have time to clean it right away.

7. Peter

Thank you very much for this very helpful guidelines!
    I will wait one more day, and maybe I should just clean it very lightly with finger tips.
    I'll keep you guys posted with photos.

Thanks a lot.

8. Peter

After cleaning (after 10 days), I am seeing brown layer again after 24 hours. So, I am afraid that my tank is just really clean, because there is no fishes or feedings. Tank is 48 days old. Even in display there is no more algae today, with 6 hours photoperiod with 150PAR lights.
    Seems that my skimmer is not exporting much, almost not at all.

No3 = 2 ppm (Salifert)
    Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)

I have decided to put one 2" blenny inside my 100g tank, and start small feedings from tomorrow.
    Am I right, that this may start green growth soon?
    Am I going into right direction?

9. Turbo

As long as you are not getting areas on the screen that are bare white, I would just continue to let it grow in 10 day cycles, maybe 14 days. At start-up (curing phase) is about the only time when you can let it grow longer than 14 days, as long as the growth isn't really dark brown and gooey, that will tend to block light even when it's pretty thin.

Take a pic of the screen at 7 days and post it. Don't shut the water off, just remove the light fixture and snap a pic through the window.

10. Peter

No problem Bud, I will do as you said.
    I don't have any white portion on this screen, and I must say that this scrubber works wonderfully.
    Water dispersion over the screen is PERFECT!
    Thanks for your answer.

11. Peter

Scrubber is now operational for 15 days, and initial cleaning was five days ago.
    I may be one huge pain in the ***, but I just wanted your opinion regarding regular cleaning at this stage. :)
    I want to make sure that I am taking care of my scrubber as much as possible, and I am a bit concern about dark brown algae blocking light on white mesh at this initial stage. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to see fast growth, even so this is not where we want to end up. Should I create longer photoperiod, in order for green algae to overcome brown stage?
    I took photos while mesh is still inside, as you suggested before.

Photoperiod is 9 hours by night .
    Flow is 500 g/h.
    No3 = ~2 ppm (Salifert)
    Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)

What would be your suggestion at this point?

Thank you very much.

scrub1.jpg scrub2.jpg scrub3.jpg scrub4.jpg

12. Turbo

Remember that the curing period can be as long as 4-6 weeks. You are at 2 weeks and you are right on track, and the growth you are seeing is good for being at 5 days after cleaning. You don't need to worry about light not getting through to the 'roots' at this point at all. If you want to post daily pics, go ahead. Or every other day. It's kind of like watching a pot of water, waiting for it to boil.

13. Peter

Thanks a lot, I will do that for sure.
    I am sure that some other users will find it helpful in the future, with similar growth and parameters.

Thank you Bud.

14. Peter

I am so happy to announce that I am getting some first green growth! :)
    I am not sure if this is possible at this point, but I guess that I got 1 ppm reduction in nitrates in last 8 days.

- Day 17 (7 days from cleaning).
    - Photoperiod is 9 hours by night .
    - Flow is 500 g/h.
    - No3 = 2 ppm (Salifert)
    - Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)

scrub1.jpg scrub2.jpg scrub3.jpg scrub4.jpg scrub5.jpg

15. Peter

OK, here is another update.

- Day 19 (9 days from cleaning).
    - Flow is 500 g/h.
    - Pair of mature ocellaris clownfishes are in from yesterday, along with existing blenny now.

Images are quite blurry, but you can clearly see that there is a lot more new green growth now, just within two days!
    I am so happy to see this!
    Only concern I have at this point is that flow over the screen may not be that even now, perhaps because pipe slot is not cleaned in 9 days. This could explain random green patches, and especially near pipe end, where I can clearly see more flow, instead of left side of the screen.
    I would like to kindly ask you for your suggestion regarding screen cleaning at this point.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg

16. Turbo

I think that's just typical of either a maturing screen or an "underloaded" screen. Since your green growth is starting, I would just continue on as is. Light blocking to the base of the screen should not be an issue right now as the algae is light in color and thin. If it was darker and/or gooey, I'd say to give it a light cleaning, but it looks fine to me

17. Peter

Thank you very much for your answer.
    I will do as you say, and keep posting regular updates.

18. Peter

- Day 21 (11 days from cleaning).
    - Flow is 500 g/h.

I wanted to show better images and also to clean pipe slot at this point.
    Pipe slot is cleaned and water dispersion is much better now across whole screen. I also removed extra algae from false bottom and from windows. Screen itself is not cleaned, I just returned all algae with screen back inside. I am extremely satisfied with growth at this point!

010.JPG 012.JPG 018.JPG 021.JPG

19. Peter

- Day 23 (13 days from cleaning).
    - Flow is 500 g/h.

Would you be so kind to tell me if I can clean my screen at this point, and how?
    I am sure that I will pick up myself soon, as soon as screen is mature, and when I get good idea how much growth I need to have in order to clean ti.
    Thank you in advance.

002.JPG 006.JPG 013.JPG 024.JPG

20. Turbo

What I would do at this point is clean it, but try to leave as much of the GHA on the screen as possible. There might be some detritus in the holes and maybe caught up in the algae. This should loosen up pretty easily. You can do this a couple different ways. One is to draw some tank water into a shallow pan and give the screen a good swish, the other is just to rinse under tap water and rub gently with your fingertips. Then, of course, scrub the top edge of the screen to make sure that is clear of all growth.

The GHA you have looks thin & fine so at this point you can leave it all on - no need to scrape. Since you don't have a large bioload, it won't grow overly fast, so it's not going to get to light-blocking level anytime soon.